SEARCH FACILITY HANGING

allclear 11:39 22 Dec 2008

Hello,

I am not that technically minded so any help would be really appreciated.

When I try to use Start--->Search facility my PC just hangs. I have to them restart my PC to get any kind of normality abck. Anybody know why this would be please?

I am using XP Home edition.

Thanks

howard64 17:26 22 Dec 2008

you might have a nasty crept onto your pc - make sure you have either spybot s&d updated and running or adaware by lavasoft or superantispyware. You could also try sfc /scannnow if you have a win xp cd.

allclear 23:36 22 Dec 2008

thanks howard64.

I tride running a spyware software but part way through my pc crashes which tends to suggest that there is a virus on my pc. I have upgraded a free version of AVG8 viruus to a fully comprehensive one which I also tried to scan my pc with and that also crashes part way through the scan. I really dont know what to do except wait for a response from AVG to see if they can help. Any suggestion from anyone out there? to how to get rid of a virus if it is embeded before the Anti softwrae software is installed?

thanks

brundle 23:40 22 Dec 2008

You have no actual evidence of a virus yet, sounds more like a hard-disk or OS problem. Check your hard-disc for errors. click here

Manufacturer's diagnostics;
click here
click here
click here

howard64 11:51 23 Dec 2008

you could go to trend micro and do their online scan this works even with nasties on board. Have you tried sfc /scannow if you do not have an xp cd there are work rounds on google.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?