Seagate External Drive problem

User-315C589B-4DC7-455D-B156AB85690025CE 18:18 12 Aug 2007

Hi guys,

I'm back for more help from my favourite geniuses.

I have a seagate external ard drive which is powered by a mains adaptor and plugs into the usb.

I have been using this to back up my photos etc quite happily since Christmas but suddenly there is problem.

The light on the power lead is a steady green light unti I switch the drive on. Once the drive is on both light on top of the drive and on the power lead both flash. The drive does not register on the pc. Any ideas please? I don't wan to lose the photos of my kids I stored on there.

Thanks

Alye

Pamy 18:22 12 Aug 2007
  woodchip 18:41 12 Aug 2007

you need to check the drive, as it sounds like mbr is corrupt it's trying to read info from the mbr. if it cannot do that then drive will not register. use the seagate seatool wizard to check the drive you can download it for floppy or cd from click here

Thank you to both of you. I've had a look at the resources and I think that woodchip is right (sadly). I have managed to recover some of the photos and videos using the undelete program on this months cover disk on my C drive (thanks to PC advisor for that!!!). But if I reformat the externa drive will I be able to recover things fromit using the ndelete or wil it be completely gone?

Sorry to be a bit thick.

Alye

Pamy 16:04 13 Aug 2007

For most of us a format will clear everything off the drive. Some Techies can still get data off after a format, but not your average person.

woodchip 17:37 13 Aug 2007

As above try the programs. It should get it going

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?