Seagate External Drive (1 TB)

douglas1973 17:11 11 Oct 2009

I recently purchased a Seagate 1 TB External Hard Drive to use in conjuction with my Acronis True Image 9 backup software. When I open the latter I get the following warning:
"Some partitions contain errors and can be imaged only sector-by-sector. It is recommended that you exit Acronis True Image Home and check the partions with your system's disk-checking tools. Are you sure you want to continue imaging?"
I have used the Windows Error Checking utility and it has eliminated the warning and I have now managed to backup my C drive but I am still concerned with the warning I received as up to the point that I received the warning I had not used the drive. In addition the drive makes a clicking noise and I now see that quite a few Amazon buyers of the same drive have reported faults, including the clicking noise. Should I be concerned?

douglas1973 12:27 19 Oct 2009

Wot no suggestions? Whereas at one time I seemed to get responses to my problems I rarely do now.

Eric10 19:26 19 Oct 2009

I can't really make any suggestions but I have the same external HDD. Mine, however, runs with a quiet purr and no evidence of any clicking noises.
It is most likely that the warning you received from Acronis referred to your existing HDD/partitions rather than your new Seagate drive. I doubt that a sector by sector copy would be of any benefit if it was the destination drive that had the problem.

douglas1973 19:50 19 Oct 2009

Thanks Eric10. Your comments make me more at ease now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?