Seagate 320GB External Hard Drive on Vista

Schedules 14:43 02 May 2007

I have bought the above drive to use on my Vista Operating System.
When the Seagate is connected and the PC is powered up, 'eventually' (about 10 minutes)Windows Explorer appears. In the list of drives the Seagate is listed but inaccessable.

If I power up the Seagate after booting the PC it does not recognise the drive at all.

As it is a USB connection I assume that no drivers are required, and none listed on the Seagate web site.

Any help would be appreciated. Dave

woodchip 14:50 02 May 2007

Go to My Computer and right click it, then choose Manage then Manage Hard Drives. It should be listed there

Technotiger 14:54 02 May 2007

Hi, I have exactly the same usb drive on my XP, I start pc with drive switched on, and all works as normal. I assume yours is formatted NTFS.

Schedules 14:57 02 May 2007

Thanks Woodchip - I have tried that and it is not listed

Schedules 15:01 02 May 2007

Hi Technotiger
Thanks but I have tried it on my XP laptop and it works perfectly with no setting up at all. While I had it connected to the laptop I did format the drive to NTFS.

Technotiger 15:09 02 May 2007

Hmm, looks like it might be a Vista problem then - I don't have Vista so can't suggest anything else, other than ... run CCleaner might clear-up the unknown? click here

rawprawn 16:42 02 May 2007

'eventually' (about 10 minutes)Windows Explorer appears. In the list of drives the Seagate is listed but inaccessable

Have you tried formatting it from there?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone