Seagate 160GB HD, bit unsure of it

wundahorse 11:40 14 May 2008

Hi,

I just took delvery of a 160 GB Seagate ST3160815AS Barracuda 7200.10, SATA II, 7200 rpm, 8MB Cache, 8.0 ms, NCQ
from Scan.UK

click here

the item arrived unboxed (just in protective film) and bubble wrap without installation instructions or any cables and im wondering whether i bought the right product, its for a new build and was expecting it to come in metal casing similar to CD/DVD as it just seems fragile as it is.
I havent unpacked from film yet nor tried any fittings but would like someones opinion. I notice it has the letters NCQ after it and am now wondering what these mean.
Can anyone set my concerns to rest,ive not installed a HD before and am a bit uneasy with this one, many thx.

Technotiger 11:53 14 May 2008

NCQ is technology designed to increase the performance of SATA drives. Your link appears to show its' internals, surely you have not received it in that state? Also I would have thought there would be a red SATA cable included.

Technotiger 11:58 14 May 2008

Also, it is probably an OEM item, which means that there would be no instructions etc included.

I have not actually handled a 'bare' SATA drive (though my own is SATA) so cannot say exactly what it looks like as regards casing. I have not opened up my case to look - a bit awkward to get at.

wundahorse 12:04 14 May 2008

Thx for reply technotiger, maybe its just the way im looking at it, it does have a metal cover on one side unlike the picture, the otherside is plastic and has a circit board showing, im guessing this is normal?.
There is no cable.
The other components im happy with but im trying to elimate any problems before i start building.

Technotiger 12:06 14 May 2008

It is normal for the circuit board to show on one side - I usually think of this, as the under-side. No cable probably means that it is OEM as I said.

wundahorse 12:07 14 May 2008

there was an OEM item on another site, i deliberatley purchased this from Scan so i would have the instructions etc but alas no. Bit confused about it, if anyone can shed some light id be grrateful. Thx

Technotiger 12:08 14 May 2008

You could probably download further information and possibly instructions, from the Seagate site.

wundahorse 12:09 14 May 2008

yeah thx techno', i guess its the best option and buy a SATA cable i guess

keef66 12:21 14 May 2008

most hard drives online are OEM. If you want packaging, cables, instructions and software you need to choose one that says 'retail', but you'll end up paying more.

wundahorse 12:47 14 May 2008

ok thx keef, i was under the impression it had to state OEM, anyway ive mailed Scan to see what they say about it, thx

Stuartli 12:55 14 May 2008

This is Scan's standard method of despatching OEM hard drives - I've had several over the years from the company and all have worked perfectly as they are well packed.

If you want to pay considerably more for the same drive and related software that's easily downloaded from the manufacturer's website, then by all means buy a retail pack....:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?