SD Card Size Checker

Scott_the_Scot 18:30 30 Mar 2009

Does any one now of any software that can check the actual size of an SD card. I have bought a 16GB on eBay and want to be sure that it is genuine.

woodchip 18:56 30 Mar 2009

Right click it then Properties

Scott_the_Scot 19:07 30 Mar 2009

This will only show you what the card has been programmed to show as it's formatted size. I want a way of finding out it's genuine size is.

Kevscar1 19:10 30 Mar 2009

It can't be formatted to show a larger size than it is. But if you still don't believe then reformat it yourself

Scott_the_Scot 22:10 30 Mar 2009

Let me try and explain this better. A large number of memory cards bought these days have been formatted in a way that makes them seem that they are larger than they actually are. I am looking for a piece of software that can tell me the true size of the memory card.

tullie 22:12 30 Mar 2009

You may be right,but i havent found this so far.

woodchip 22:21 30 Mar 2009

Could be right, as I have a Program that lets you format a Floppy to get more space on it than 1.4Mb

bigbob2011 22:31 01 Sep 2011

There is a program called chechcap that does this on a sd card. It will tell you what the full size is of the sd.So if you have one that tells you 16gb on the out side this program will tell you it is a 16gbb or say a 2 gb. My mate as got it on is computer and he can not thing where he got it from. So if you find it please let me know [email protected] as i do not understand the computer well and reading what some words mean gets me lost. BUT THIS PROGRAM DOES WORK 100% Bob

bigbob2011 22:32 01 Sep 2011

There is a program called chechcap that does this on a sd card. It will tell you what the full size is of the sd.So if you have one that tells you 16gb on the out side this program will tell you it is a 16gbb or say a 2 gb. My mate as got it on is computer and he can not thing where he got it from. So if you find it please let me know [email protected] as i do not understand the computer well and reading what some words mean gets me lost. BUT THIS PROGRAM DOES WORK 100% Bob

Nontek 08:43 02 Sep 2011

You might have the name wrong. Googling 'chechcap' does not bring up any results dealing with sd cards.

Peter 10:11 02 Sep 2011

bigbob2011

You could try copying some large files, say a DVD, into several folders, until the drive is full or use a programme like H2testw available from http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/08/26/test-and-detect-fake-or-counterfeit-usb-flash-drives-bought-from-ebay-with-h2testw/ to do it automatically.

This programme fills the drive with test files and then verifies them.

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?