SD card to SD card

tony-guitar 11:03 16 Jun 2009

Hi, I want to transfer a handful of pictures from one SD card to another. Although an error message "the target cannot handle this type of document" appeared after the transfer status bar finished, the pics show up perfectly when played back on the pc but my camera says "no image". Is there an answer please. I've tried both 'send to' and 'save as' (The same error appears when transferring to ext hard drive but they still go.) Thanks - Tony

mooly 12:24 16 Jun 2009

I think it's because the camera cannot recognise the "new format" of the images or a changed format as it were.
I find if you edit a picure on the SD card in the PC it becomes unrecognisable in the camera.
Never tried but what about right clicking a picture on the card and select "send to", choose documents, take the card out, put another in (having formatted it in the camera first), then right clicking the picture in documents and sending to the card. Just an idea !

tony-guitar 22:06 16 Jun 2009

Hi mooly, i'll give it a try but i didn't edit the pics, only wanted to copy them across. I loaned my sister-in-law a spare SD card which she used and in the meantime bought her a new card and just wanted to transfer her pics across to new card so i could have my one back.Unfortunately she flies back to Helsinki Wednesday so i'll have to experiment with other cards. Thanks for suggestion - Tony

BRYNIT 23:24 16 Jun 2009

Assuming your sister-in-law has a computer at home why not just copy the pictures onto a CD disc. Check the picture after copying and keep a copy on your computer in case of problems with the disc when she gets home.

woodchip 23:31 16 Jun 2009

Most likely Problem is that the Pictures are numbered in sequence then the camera takes them so camera would not see them on the card

woodchip 23:32 16 Jun 2009

when not then

Kevscar1 05:25 17 Jun 2009

Give her the spare. Keep new one for yourself.

tony-guitar 10:13 17 Jun 2009

Thanks guys, i've given both cards to my sister-in-law now, but the main reason to keep my original was that it had 5 short video clips of my 3yr old Granddaughter on it. I've now uploaded those clips to pc instead. And yes they are sequentially numbered and as j-peg images (exactly as original card)but neither mine nor her camera (the one used - and both Canon Ixus)see them. Oh well. Thanks again for help - Tony

woodchip 10:35 17 Jun 2009

If you had moved the Pictures on to the PC, the card would be usable there is nothing wrong with it. Its just the numbering that is the problem, thats why camera cannot see them

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?