SD Card Reading Problem

CaveBob 09:21 26 Jun 2007

I have a Canon 950IS and I use a 2GB Sandisk SD card in it. The camera works fine, the i can download photos off the camera no problems when i use the camera.

However...

When i use a card reader to access the SD card, my computer recognises that its been plugged in but i can never open the card properly. In My computer, the drive for the card keeps switching from Canon_DC to removable disk and back again almost every second. Somtimes i can open the card for a second and i can see that my files and pics are there but i cant copy them because the window keeps closing down.

I've got some files that i copied on there. after i copied those files, i cant access the card through the reader. Its the first time i've used the card outside of the camera.

Please help! =(

eedcam 09:45 26 Jun 2007

If you have 2G of images thats a lot of work for the pc .if you are trying to open them all. try this if you are using an imaging progrm Adobe or paintshop etc..Open that then click on browse what ever drive the card is seen as.Select the ones you want and save them . Alternatively open explorer and either right click and send to or drag and drop to the folder you want.Also you should a have a folder option box open when you put the card in use that to selectwhere you want to view/edit the files

Assume you have plenty of hard drive space?

CaveBob 09:49 26 Jun 2007

Its not the images im after. I should clarify.

I've only ever used the card to take photos on my camera. But i recently needed something to store a movie on and all i had on me was my camera. So i took the SD card out of the camera and used a card reader to to copy the movie onto the SD. Now that im home, I wanted to copy the movie off but when i plug the SD into my card reader, the above problem occurs.

eedcam 18:40 26 Jun 2007

Ok So you transfered a File from pc to your card and now want to transfer that file back to the pc .Same rules apply its just a file I move movies and stills of my card in an editing programme. Do you have one you can use reason I think that your prob is possibly the card. So using a programme might allow you to highlight the cause

CaveBob 19:26 26 Jun 2007

i dont have any card reading programs, just using windows XP. I did try using abode phot viewer or something like, i can see the movie but i cant copy it off.

The way my computer acts makes it look like the card doesnt know whether to call itself canon_dc or removeable_disk. it just keeps swapping between the two and so the file paths always vary and so i cant copy anything off even if i manage to ctrl c quick enough

eedcam 22:28 27 Jun 2007

Not card reading programmes photo or video editing programmes. When you insert the card you should have this come up
[IMG]click here[/IMG]
You then choose your option .I take it you have the Reader permanently connected ?
Also does the card behave properly if you try to view in the camera

Strawballs 22:45 27 Jun 2007

I have the same problem with the card reader on my laptop I have 2gig cards that it will not read but it will read the smaller ones whereas the card reader on my HP Photosmart printer will read the larger one no problem, my laptop is about 2 and a half years old and my printer is new, How old is your reader?

eedcam 22:48 27 Jun 2007

Just had alok on Google this may not be anything to do with any of my comments there seems to be a prob in getting some card readers to read GB cards particularly Vista but also in XP Do you have a smaller card you could try

CaveBob 05:17 28 Jun 2007

Sorry, totally misunderstood when you said programs, umm, i just pick take no action, IF i can, even that window inly pops up for a second. Bcoz the card is behaving like its being inserted in and then being taken out of the computer over and over again, that window only pops up for a second or two.

No its a USB SD card reader.

Ill try and find another SD to try out.

eedcam 08:27 28 Jun 2007

Think you will find its the 2G thats doing it I think with sd there are even 2types newand older the new one is a problem for some readers Good luck

Strawballs 22:19 28 Jun 2007

As I said I have 2 card readers 1 in laptop that is 2 and a half yrs old won't read 2gig and 1 in brand new printer will read 2gig how old is yours??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017