Is This SD Card Corrupted ? 2Gb.

Baskerville 08:20 11 Jul 2006

Hi to all,
I bought a 2Gb SD card off a well known auction site 2 months ago for my Digital Camera all was well initially but a problem has now cropped up.
A couple of days ago I happened to be looking at some images and a small video (viewing them in the Camera) no problem everything was fine.
Yesterday whilst attempting to do the same the Camera was showing no images besides one I had just taken, I took another snap and the Camera was showing just the 2 images all my other stuff was gone! I put the SD card into the reader on my computer and the drive appeared to show HTML code and all the images were in html non would open all squiggles and squares sort of thing but non will open, when I hover the mouse over a image the files size is sometimes 3Gb or so just for one image? the 2 images will not open or anything, sadly my boys sports day is video and some other family related stuff so it's not good if I have lost them.
Just as important is will it keep doing this and is this a dodgy card or a (grey) import as it came from Japan.
Anyone had such a problem appreciate any help,

Baskerville.

SG Atlantis® 08:28 11 Jul 2006

usually if a card is corrupted it won't read at all. Like a 256 xd card I had, put it int the camera, inrecognised asked to reformat and it failed every time... same in PC.

Looks like just the files have been corrupted, not the card..

Format the card IN THE CAMERA and see if it goes back to normal.

SD carrds are quite cheap in the UK now, esp here click here 1gb for £16.49

Sethhaniel 08:56 11 Jul 2006

not all files are saved to card in jpg format

so the format may not be readable by just the pc and may need the camera manufacturers software to view properly

so don't give up till you try some recovery programs on it

(irfanview can read CAM files )

camera's store all sorts of info along with the photo as date time exposure etc - so if it is not openend in correct prog it will show as something like HTML

Baskerville 11:02 11 Jul 2006

If I format the card all the images or video will be gone for good, I'm trying to salvage what I have left.
The camera shows no images when viewed 'in' camera but show html when viewed on the computer??it shows DCIM but that the folder is empty?

I have used 'clean up' of the card which is a feature of the camera but this has not made any difference.

Thanks for the help,

Baskerville.

SG Atlantis® 11:05 11 Jul 2006

what are the file extensions?

right click a file in the PC and choose properties.

what is the file ext and what program does it open with?

De Marcus™ 11:17 11 Jul 2006

Try recovering the files click here

woodchip 11:18 11 Jul 2006

post for a photo restore program the little envelope by my name

Baskerville 11:33 11 Jul 2006

Done that, it does not show any file extensions, I always open the drive letter, then open DCIM they are shown as JPEG and open in Adobe Photoshop Album or a windows slide show.
The drive letter in this case for me is J but when the card is inserted into the reader I get J followed by a load of gobblegook which I think is html and any files are again in gobblegook I have 2 images taken recently and they are not showing or allowing me to view them, yet they are visible when viewed 'in camera'.

Thanks,

Confab 13:14 11 Jul 2006

Try this. It can even recover part of a corrupt picture.

click here

The free download will tell you if any of the images can be recovered (a small version of any recovered pictures are displayed). Its up to you if you want to purchase the full version.

Baskerville 22:40 11 Jul 2006

Thanks to all that have helped today but no joy I'm afraid still cannot get my images and Video back, it seems to be a card problem and the SD card when in the Camera shows no images only 2 that I have taken over the last couple of days.
Strange thing is when I put the card into the reader and hover over the lost files (all in html speak) some of them say 'file modified 2094 or 2066 or any year for that matter) I loved Dr Who at the weekend and will miss Rose but hang on a mo! I may contact 'Most Haunted' Derek Acorah may be able to help.
Thing is will it happen to this SD card again ? and I may lose all my stuf? certainly makes you back up asap.
Does anyone know of this problem ?

Baskerville.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?