scrollable command shell in win98?

cherria 16:09 26 Feb 2003

In NT4 and XP, using cmd.exe gives me a dos windows that can have a vertical scrollbar so I can see the history of what has gone on in the session.

Is there any way to get a scroll bar in the win98 command.com? Or does anybody know of a program that will give me the equivalent. I know I can pipe my commands through 'more' but I still can't see the history once the command has completed.

Taran 16:16 26 Feb 2003

Have you tried the /p switch, that displays a single page at a time ?

cherria 16:18 26 Feb 2003

doesn't that only work for the dir command?

Taran 16:25 26 Feb 2003

Yes, sorry, I didn't realise you wanted it specifically for command only actions.

The only solution I've heard of (but never tried) is go to Screen tab, set initial size = 50 lines, at the Font Tab, set Both Font types = T 9x15 and use this with a screen resolution of 1095x768

Rumour has it that this works, but I was always under the impression that the Windows 9x derivatives did not have a scroll ability in DOS.

Taran 16:27 26 Feb 2003

I don't have a Win9x machine handy to even try it, but as I said, I was always under the impression that this was one of those things you just can't do.

I'll be happy if you prove me wrong and I find something new out.

T

jazzypop 16:28 26 Feb 2003

Try

click here Zoom Shel)

click here

click here (scroll down to NewDos.exe)

I haven't tried any of these, so can't recommend them - they are just the result of 'scrollable command shell win98' in Google. There are several more there, and replacing win98 with w98 will no doubt throw up further choices.

Happy hunting :)

jazzypop 16:29 26 Feb 2003

Oops! the first link should say (scroll down to Zoom Shell)

cherria 16:36 26 Feb 2003

Thanks will try later. I did try looking in ZDNET downloads but no luck there so I'll see if these look good when I get home.

cherria 10:28 27 Feb 2003

Thanks jazzypop, does most of what I want.

Taran 11:02 27 Feb 2003

I'll echo cherria's thanks.

I knew it wasn't natively possible, but it's nice to see there's a third party alternative out there.

Cheers

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?