Script to stop people copy pasting

FOEYDO 12:06 27 Jul 2008

I am looking for a script to prevent people right clciking and copying and pasting text from my website

FOEYDO 12:41 27 Jul 2008

Done this but want to prevent view source throught the toolbar any ideas

gerri-atrick 16:54 27 Jul 2008

You can get javascript coding to stop right clicking, but that is usually for graphics but will work with text unless they are determined and click on "view source"
By adding this to the body of the site -ondragstart="return
false" onselectstart="return false" it should stop them from "copy and pasting"

And a way to fool the view source people?
Place your cursor in front of the opening <html> tag and hit your enter button for a while. It will push your source code out of view and this will fool the fools. :)

Hope this helps

manrow 19:14 27 Jul 2008

gerri-atrick, while not understanding much about hiding text from fools as in your last paragraph, but how do you get the text back to edit yourself when necessary in the future?

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:01 27 Jul 2008

the right click option to copy text? They just need to do what everyone else does; select it and press ctrl+c to copy it.
There is absolutely no way you can hide anything on a site from someone determined to get hold of it. Is it really that special?

gerri-atrick 13:32 29 Jul 2008

The wee bit of code i posted should stop you from highlighting the text to copy it and the adding of blank lines was to fool people into thinking the code isnt there, although the savvy out there wouldnt be fooled for long,
there are lots of ways to get someones work from a site, even to take the whole site so trying to stop them would be like p****ing into the wind :) but you do have copyright protection from the minute you post your site anyway as the date and time is recorded........isnt it?

manrow 20:54 29 Jul 2008

Thank you fourm member for the explanation; simple now you have stated the obvious!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?