Screws

witling 10:01 24 May 2010

I have a pc which has a perspex case. I want to add a hard drive but I can't find anywhere I can get screws long enough as the perspex is quite thick. Can anyone help me find where I can get some. Thankyou for reading.

johndrew 10:21 24 May 2010

Is this a custom made case? Generally HDDs are mounted in a metal frame toward the front using the standard screws (fairly short) to prevent any contact with the circuitry.

witling 11:37 24 May 2010

It could be I got it secondhand, but the cage for hard drives and Dvd dirves is made from perspex.

johndrew 14:32 24 May 2010

All I can suggest is that you measure the thickness of the perspex, add that length to a `standard` HDD retaining screw thread, subtract 0.5mm and this should give you a safe length of thread to use.

With this figure you may be able to approach your local PC shop for a bit more help. I think the standard screws are 6-32 x 4mm but could be wrong.

I am Spartacus 01:34 25 May 2010

I generally use M3 screws. As it's perspex then button head allen screws might look good. Loads available on ebay e.g. click here

mole44 06:06 25 May 2010

Screwfix or your local builders merchant,take down the perspex and ask them for advice.you`ll be surprised how helpfull most will be.

Sapins 08:22 25 May 2010

I have a perspex case(self built system)and the drive cage is also perspex.I have to remove the side of the case to access the drive cage and then I use "ordinary" screws to fix the drives. The problem I have is that the motherboard is fixed to the other side of the case and to access the drive fixing screws on that side I have to detach the motherboard, it's such a pain, so I have taken out the drive screws on that side.

Sapins 08:39 25 May 2010

This is a photo of my case, if the link works!!

click here

onthelimit 09:02 25 May 2010

Very pretty - you don't drive a black Beemer with downlights and heavy base by any chance, do you?

witling 09:56 25 May 2010

Thankyou all for the answers you have given me I will now be able to instal said hard drive.

Sapins 10:33 25 May 2010

No, but I do have a 1953 Citoen!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache