Screensavers!

STEVE71163 14:17 01 Mar 2003

I generally turn my computer on about 6am and turn it off around 11pm as i am in and out at different times of the day printing off invoices etc. Is it ok to leave the computer on screensaver all day as i dont like turning the computer on and off all day? I use the coral screensaver which is quite cpu intensive. Do you think it is better to turn on and turn off?

Thanks

Djohn 14:25 01 Mar 2003

Fine to leave a screen saver on, but as you have pointed out, the coral screen saver Is CPU intensive, and tends to run your graphic card quite hard, even increases the temperature by 2 or 3 degrees. Maybe a less intensive one will be better. J.

STEVE71163 14:32 01 Mar 2003

Thanks for replying Djohn. Thats what i was wondering as the cpu temperature goes from about 44c to about 52c after a few hours of use and i dont want to put the pc under any undue pressure so perhaps i would be better using another screensaver.

tenor 14:59 01 Mar 2003

Talking of screensavers,is it necessary to run one on a tft?

Bagsey 15:00 01 Mar 2003

Just a quick thought. My old 166 pentium has been running on my desk for 5 years now without ever being switched off. It has a copy of microsoft scenes which runs photos as a screen saver. I can not detect any deterioration in its perfomance. I must get a new CMOS battery one of these days then I willl be able to switch the machine off. :)

polymath 15:37 01 Mar 2003

I thought no type of modern monitor needed a screensaver, but please correct me, someone, if I'm wrong! Even if they needed them, wouldn't the default black screen in sleep mode do the job?

I haven't bothered with a screensaver, fun though they are, since the United Devices cancer research one disagreed with my system (probably a resources problem).

I suppose some could help the thinking process, if you stop to do a lot of it seated at the computer!

spuds 15:55 01 Mar 2003

It was the older monitors that were a problem to some people. The later or latest monitors have better protection, so I would not bother to much about screensavers.The monitor that I have is set to switch off screen activity after 10 minutes.I let return to the computer,touch the mouse and the monitor comes to life.Just great.Some people prefare screensavers, and a very wide selection are available as free downloads.

Djohn 16:02 01 Mar 2003

spuds, is correct, monitors made in the past few years do not need screen savers at all, and are used mainly for entertainment.

STEVE71163 20:05 01 Mar 2003

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will change over to another screensaver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?