Screensaver problems

The Sheep 22:40 13 Jan 2006

Hello all. A while ago i donwloaded a screensaver from the net (frem a legitimate source). A few weeks ago i unsinstalled it. Now, my screensaver wont work no matter what i set it to?

Any ideas?

Cheers.

ade.h 22:53 13 Jan 2006

Open the rgistry and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop. Take a screengrab of the window (stretched to show all entries on the right side) and post on Imageshack for me to have a look at.

I will get back to you tomorrow at the latest.

ade.h 22:56 13 Jan 2006

click here That's my settings for comparison.

Biotech 22:56 13 Jan 2006

I do not know if this will help
click here

ade.h 23:00 13 Jan 2006

I'm looking to find out primarily if The Sheep still has SCRNSAVE.exe and what file it is running. Hopefully, it will just be a case of running sfc to replace the file if it has been deleted or become corrupted.

The Sheep 11:34 14 Jan 2006

Cheers for the replies people.

ade.h.........i did a scan on my system for SCRNSAVE.exe and it isnt there. In deleting the old scrensaver i must have deleted it.

How do i go about rectifying this?

Thanks again people :)

ade.h 14:55 14 Jan 2006

Run sfc /scannow. That will automatically replace the file.

The Sheep 16:28 17 Jan 2006

Hi.

OK....when i run the above it asks me for the XP disk.....this is where my problems begin.

My PC is only a couple of months old and purchased direct from Evesham. I looked through the bundle of disks they gave me with it and there doesnt seem to be an XP disk. What there is, is an XP recovery disk. When i put this in the machine it auto-runs and looks exactly as the XP disk would, with the same initial options (install XP, install optional components etc).

However when the run sfc /scannow procedure requests the XP disk.....it wont recognise this disk. Any ideas?

Thanks people :)

PaulB2005 16:32 17 Jan 2006

Try doing a System Restore to before you uninstalled it. Then just select another screesaver instead of uninstalling the old one. Maybe try uninstalling again but be prepared it might cause the same problem again...

anskyber 16:35 17 Jan 2006

I am interested in the reply to this, and I do not want to hi-jack the thread so apologies in advance but can ade.h advise on how to take a screen grab.

The Sheep 16:36 17 Jan 2006

I would do that however it was weeks ago the problem occured (i'd just lived with it until I posted). I know i dont have a system restore point as far back as that.

Cheers though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?