Screensaver kick-in - how long before?

NickyK 23:14 28 Dec 2004

How long is it safe to leave the computer alone before my screensaver kicks in? (not asking about security issues here). Mine comes in after 5 minutes. (Using Dell/WindowsXP SP2).

Also, is there a way I can let the screensaver run a bit longer than it currently does? After only a little while, the screen goes to standby-black. I'd actually like to run my various screensavers a bit longer.

I did look this topic up in the archives, but there were 40 posts, so sorry if this question has been answered recently.

Thomo1 23:20 28 Dec 2004

to solve the standby option:

start > contol panel > power options.

in the box it opens look down to

settings for home/office desk power scheme and change the "turn off monitor" setting.

NickyK 23:27 28 Dec 2004

Thanks, Thomo1.

kev.Ifty 23:29 28 Dec 2004

Try......... Right Click on a clear part of your desk top, then select Properties. When the new window opens click the Screen Saver tab.

Now, you should have a button that says POWER.. Click it. POWER SCHEMES set this to ALWAYS ON.

Then further down this window you will find TURN OFF MONITOR. Using the drop down arrow, select the length of time you require your monitor to remain on.

Then click on Apply.

Kev.

NickyK 23:43 28 Dec 2004

Hi Kev.Ifty. Many thanks. Because of you and Thomo1, I now know exactly what to do, whereas before-hand I had a vague idea and was too nervous (and wrong, as it turned out - just as well I didn't try it) to try on my own.

I sometimes feel over-awed by all the deep stuff people ask about on this site, but it is good to know that beginners like me are also assisted.

Appreciations and New Year honours to you both,

Nk

kev.Ifty 23:58 28 Dec 2004

Keep asking until you're sure ;-) .

Best Wishes.

A good NewYear to you too..

Kev.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone