Screen is unworkable because the VGA is Max

Giggle n' Bits 00:19 26 Jan 2005

My dad has apparently been playing with the VGA settings and made his screen/icons/windows too large to work with and control. He says via phone there is no way of using the mouse to get it back.

He was reading a article in a PC Mag, not this one and went a bit to far. Typical Dad wanting to go the whole hog.

Anyway, I do know that using the TAB key and enter you can navigate but if you carn't see what is where has anyone got any suggestion how I could sort this out for him when I call tomorrow night. Please

Chezdez 00:22 26 Jan 2005

if he is using XP, a system restore will solve this problem

try booting up into safe mode (tap F8 whilst comp boots up), and then do a system restore from there

Giggle n' Bits 01:15 26 Jan 2005

VGA Drivers in safe mode.

Thing his he just loves to play, hope this teaches him a lesson

Thanks Chezdez, will post back with update later

griffon 56 01:26 26 Jan 2005

Hi VauxY,

Could this be a result of accessing features of the 'Accessibility' program which can be used to cater for people with impaired sight by giving huge fonts and icons, or was it through changing the settings of the display? If it's the former I'don't know the answer but if it's the latter AND the mouse pointer is working, do this.

Right click anywhere on the desktop, and in the menu which appears left click 'Properties'. In the dialogue box which appears click on the 'Settings' tab at the top right. In the 'Colors' box click the down arrow on the right of the box and select 'True color (32bit)'. In the 'Screen Area' box drag the pointer to the right until a screen resolution of '1024 x 768 pixels' is shown.

Then click on 'Apply' and follow the instructions which appear. The screen icons and screen layout should change after the computer has restarted and be back to where your Dad started. If 'True Color (32bit) and '1024 x 768 pixels' is not available just select '256 colors' and the highest screen area setting he can get. And the best of British.

griffon 56 01:33 26 Jan 2005

P.S. I wouldn't uninstall the VGA drivers if I were you. Windows defaults to 16 colors and 640 x 480 screen size and everything gets big and unwieldy. I'm guessing but that is probably what has happened already.

Chezdez 07:28 26 Jan 2005

yeah, leave the VGA drivers in place!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?