Screen suddenly went black 3x whilst shopping

Halmer 08:04 19 Jun 2008

The last three times that my wife has been doing on-line Tesco or Sainsbury's shopping, part way through the order the screen has gone black as though the PC has been switched off. The PC is still on though because the power button is lit up. A little 'analogue' symbol or something similar flashes in the top left hand corner.

It's as though it's decided to go into hibernation but nothing that I do restores it to the screen that she was at. The only thing I can do is hold the power button for 5 seconds and reboot so I don't think it's a cable. All the shopping order is then lost.

It's XP.

Any ideas please. I've disabled hibernation to see if that helps but haven't tested it yet.

Grantrh 08:53 19 Jun 2008

Sounds like the cable or the graphics card to me.
Try replacing them one at a time if you can and see if it makes any difference.

Halmer 09:00 19 Jun 2008

I assume you mean.

1. Replace the cable that links the PC to the screen then
2. Replace the graphics card.

Is that right?

I thought if it was the cable it would fail to boot up again?

Halmer 09:04 19 Jun 2008

and the little vent holes (3 sets) on the side of the PC were absolutely blocked with dust and fluff. Could it be this?

Marko797 09:08 19 Jun 2008

Before u go replacing anything, why don't u check for loose connections? Lead from PC to monitor? Check the gfx card is 'seated' correctly? Is there excessive fluff n dust in the PC body? Some basic hand and eye checks first off.

Halmer 09:14 19 Jun 2008

Thanks.

Just posted about fluff!

It was pretty bad and the vents were completely blocked. PC is 2 years old. Must have a dusty study!

I wonder if one of the cards etc.was overheating?

It also doesn't help because the side where the vents are is up against the desk so the air flow will be restricted.

I need to change and monitor it.

Marko797 09:23 19 Jun 2008

As daft as it sounds, fluff etc can have dramatic effects, particularly in connection with causing overheating of components, and may well be the root of your problem.

Give at a good clean and see how things go.

Halmer 09:27 19 Jun 2008

Will do.

Will leave unticked for now and monitor.

Grantrh 11:42 19 Jun 2008

Yes thats right - but giving your PC a de-fluffing is a good idea too.

Halmer 22:02 19 Jun 2008

that Sainsbury's (the site that my wife uses) have had major problems with their site recently.

Coincidence?

Halmer 08:56 20 Jun 2008

Bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?