Screen Saver - XP

Islandgirl 10:32 29 Jun 2003

I have just upgraded to XP and am having trouble with my screen saver. If I ask windows to start the screen saver after up to 7 minutes it works fine but if I say longer than this it never starts, have tried 10 - 20 - 30 - 40 mins and times in between but nothing happens, the screen saver never comes on. I dont want the screen saver to cut in after such a short time is there anything I can do to make the screen saver work as it should. Joan

Kool_Pete 17:06 29 Jun 2003

Hi,

Dell.com sell a CD called 'Screensavers Sorted' for about £4.99 and this solves this problem and many more. Pete

Djohn 17:21 29 Jun 2003

I would think it is more likely to be one of the many programs that XP tends to load and run in the background. If after say 8 or 10 minutes, one of these checks fires up, then you never reach the time set for the screen-saver to kick in.

As to which one it is, I don't know, someone may have the answer for you, but I don't think anything is wrong with your XP system. j.

graham√ 17:33 29 Jun 2003

Cut down the number of programs in the start menu ... click here

Islandgirl 17:47 29 Jun 2003

Thank you Kool_Pete I may try and get one of these CD's.

Djohn - I never thought of this, it may well be that something else is starting after I have left the Computer and therefore it never lets the screen saver start, but when I had ME if I left my computer for over half an hour the screen saver would kick in like a goodun, now if I leave my computer on and go out, after one or maybe two hours the screensaver has never started. If I set the saver to start after 5 mins its as good as gold starts running and stays that way until I come back to my computer, maybe 2 or 3 hours later. Seems strange to me. Joan

Djohn 17:55 29 Jun 2003

graham√ link is a good guide to use, if you do it the correct way as explained, you will not cause any harm, if a program does not load/work as you wish it to, then just re-place the tick.

I am still new to XP myself, just had a look in task-manager, I have 34 processes running! I'm sure I can reduce these, so will have a go myself, Haven't bothered so far because it loads/runs so fast anyway. When I had 98se, and understood all the start-up items, I reduced it to 4, (I think), all others would start when I clicked on the program or shortcut.

Don't yet know what all these in XP are, or if they are necessary. j.

Islandgirl 18:00 29 Jun 2003

Thanks Djohn, I will try and pluck up courage. Joan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?