screen resolution problems

philharris433 14:48 26 Apr 2007

Is there any way in XP of setting a computer that runs a program in a lower resolution to automatically switch back to its origial state when you exit the program. I have two xp machines one is fine but the other when exiting the programs keeps the resolution and its really frustrating. I hope i make sence to someone!

Thanks

Stuartli 14:57 26 Apr 2007

It can be done manually by right clicking on the Desktop>Properties>Settings tab>Advanced button>Adapter tab>List all Modes.

Clicking on List all Modes will provide a full list of the resolution/colour/refresh rates your graphics card will support; you can click on any particular combination and OK it (ensure that Windows does this without a Reboot).

Choose the alternative you require by highlighting it and then OK.

When it is no longer required, repeat the sequence to go back to the Default setting.

alan2273 14:58 26 Apr 2007

Yes it makes sense, but I cannot give you an answer.
To run in a lower resolution, I right click the program, select compatability mode and set the lower resolution. then when I exit the program it goes back to the normal resolution.

philharris433 16:13 26 Apr 2007

yep, if it was for me then I would do that but unfortunatley its kids that use them and they open a program to changes the screen res, and after they try another program and it wont work in the "changed resolution" without setting it back manually. I tried the compatability mode but it still doesnt change it back afterwards.

Thanks for responses guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?