Screen resolution...a function of what?

dendrite 21:22 28 Dec 2004

I am contemplating buying a Mesh computer with upgrades to the graphics card and monitor, namely to a 256MB ATI Radeon X800 Pro card and a Viewsonic VP201B 20 inch TFT. Maybe not ideal but Mesh upgrade options are rather restricted. The only thing I have real misgivings about is the high native resolution of the screen, i.e. 1600 x 1200. From the reviews I've seen the VP201B gives a good if not outstanding picture at 1600 x 1200 but quality noticeably drops at lower resolutions. My question is, will I ever have to use a lower resolution? I understand you need a good graphics card to drive 1600 x 1200 (I'm assuming the Radeon is up to the task) but are there other factors? In particular, does software have to be '1600 x 1200 compliant'? The
computer will be used for DVD playback, MS Office applications, games, and the sort of utilities that come free with magazines. Can I be confident these sort of things will play at 1600 x 1200?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?