On screen reminder on pressing certain keys

MIke 18:23 06 Oct 2008

Hi all

I'm using Visat Home Premium and have somehow managed to turn on a feature which is annoying me. I don't know how I did it but must have been a certain sequence of key presses.

What happens is that if I press, say the alt key, a small yellow rectangle pops up on screen containing the letters alt.

Similarly this happens for CTRL, WIN (for the windows key)and Alt Gr.

I suppose it's meant to be useful, but I find it annoying. Any ideas how to turn this off.

I've looked at the ease of access centre in control panel but can't see anything in there?

Help it's driving me nuts!

Technotiger 18:38 06 Oct 2008

I think it might in fact be a Malware/Virus type of thing.

First, I would try a System Restore back to before you noticed this - Secondly run all your Anit-everything programs to try to get rid of it.

VoG II 19:15 06 Oct 2008

Sticky Keys??? click here

Just guessing :o)

Woolwell 19:45 06 Oct 2008

What make of keyboard?

MIke 21:00 06 Oct 2008

Thanks for the replies. I don't think it's sticky keys Vog I looked at that before posting.

I;'ve run anti-virus and anti-spyware nothing found. I can't restore as I've turned system restore off. I never found it very useful. I prefer Acronis TI. I could put my last backup back on but would prefer to find out how to turn this off and how I turned it on in the first place!

It's a Trust Silverline Direct Access Keyboard

I'm sure the issue is to do with accesibility where Windows will show onscreen if the shift, alt, or control keys are pressed. I know you can make windows make a sound if you accidentally press num lock or caps lock, but can't seem to find any settings for this visual display.

Technotiger 21:40 06 Oct 2008

What happens, if anything, when you hover your cursor over the yellow triangle?

Technotiger 21:41 06 Oct 2008

Also have you tried running something like Ccleaner to see if that makes any difference?

MIke 23:02 06 Oct 2008

Hi Technotiger. Nothing happens on hovering the mouse. It's a small yellow box about a third of the way down the screen and and a third of the way in from the left hand side. It's similar to the yellow boxes that appear if you hover your mouse over one of the icons in the system tray or quick launch bar that gives a snippet of information about the program the icon is related to e.,g 'ZoneAlarm' or 'Mozilla Firefox'

CCleaner has no effect.

MIke 00:47 07 Oct 2008

Sorted but don't know how!

I've been trying to think what I've done differently, then remembered I was offered a driver update via Windows update for my NVidia graphics card . I downloaded it yesterday, but didn't restart my pc until today.

I tried rolling back my driver then re-starting, an lo and behold onscreen alt, shift etc prompts gone.

I checked Windows updates again, and re-downloaded the latest NVidia driver, re-booted and half expected to see the yerllow boxes return but they haven't.

So I'm still not sure if the driver update was responsible or not.

Thanks for all suggestions though

MIke

Technotiger 08:05 07 Oct 2008

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?