screen problem

toonfireman1746 18:59 15 Feb 2011

hi lap top it has rows of colord lines down one side 3 ind wide, does it from start up
Xp
thanks

chub_tor 19:27 15 Feb 2011

If you can connect your laptop video output to an external monitor you can confirm whether or not this is hardware or software driver related. If there are no lines on the external monitor then you have a bad connection where the leads from the motherboard go up to the screen or a faulty screen itself. Try the external monitor first.

woodchip 19:58 15 Feb 2011

I would say the Graphics as failed, so most likely need a new motherboard, as most are built into motherboard on a Laptop. Is it worth mending?

woodchip 20:00 15 Feb 2011

As above you can check, by connecting a ex monitor. Press fn key plus External monitor key on my HP that key is F4

toonfireman1746 20:50 15 Feb 2011

hi
thanks. this is my grand daughters, lap top.
when you squezze the top of the screen it works ok
think it will need to go in

chub_tor 09:21 16 Feb 2011

If it works OK when you squeeze the top then you do indeed have a connection problem, not a failed graphics card or motherboard fault. Replacement screens are available for most laptops, just Google your laptop model number or search ebay. Instructions for swapping out the display are also available, again just Google for it. Not a job for the faint hearted but it is possible to do it yourself. If it has been damaged by dropping on the floor for example you might check with your homeowners policy for accidental damage and check if it is covered and if so is it worth paying the deductible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?