screen to printer probs

DrDob 18:40 25 Oct 2006

I have a canon pixma ip4200 and a GNR 7000 screen and am running xp sp2.
I am trying to get the printer to print the same as the screen. As I do photo manipulation it is a bit maddening to get the photo right on screen, only to find it printing darker. Any body got any ideas?? Michael

Technotiger 19:02 25 Oct 2006

Hi, in my limited experience I have found that different makes of photo-paper can reproduce quite different results as regards colours. I believe your printer is the 5x col cartridge type - perhaps you would be better with a 6x col cartridge type, such as the Epson R300 or similar.

Cheers.

Technotiger 19:04 25 Oct 2006

ps - I have also found that by responding to a Thread like this, usually attracts further comments from other members - Good luck.

anskyber 19:25 25 Oct 2006

I have the iP5000 and the printing is pretty faithful to the screen. If you go into the printer options there are some limited adjustments there.

My route to where I wanted to be was to copy the final picture and then enhance it with software which I am sure you will have until it printed as I wanted it rather than as it appeared on the screen. After all you screen settings could be showing the image differently (and potentially wrongly) to the actual picture, if you follow me.

Yes its trial and error but it works for me.

Terry Brown 19:33 25 Oct 2006

Try adjusting the monitor settings to reduce the screen brightness & Contrast, so you get a more accurate display of your printed page.
Terry

jakimo 20:09 25 Oct 2006

monitor & printer profiling is a complex matter if you want some degree of accuracy in you print,what paper and ink can be only a part of the problem,and many books & articles have been written on the subject,I use a spyder for setting up the monitor,and lucky enough to produce very good result using oem papers & inks.

click here=

jack 20:10 25 Oct 2006

This is indeed a very deep subject
The colour differences between print and screen are because of a variety of reasons- not all of which is it possible to resolve for the casual user
First you have to recognise the image on the screen is what is known as additive-
Think of it this way.with all the pixels off you have a black screen with each successive colour switched on [RGB] you get ultimately a white screen.
The elctrontrickery rapidly switches between these modes to give all of the possible 24 million or so hues.
With a print- this employs a Subtractive process
with no ink on the paper it is white, as successive dots of colour are applied so the various hues are generated, but the poor old printer has only 4 or 6 or sometimes 7 colours to play with.
In addition the print relies on the colour of the light reflecting off its surface to give the image
So what colour is the light- daylight/artificial light- tungsten or fluorescent as you hold the print the light bouncing off your nice pink shirt may have an affect.
But as a first step in the right direction - go to Control Panel/Adobe Gamma - and the screen set up.
Then go to your printer software and set up some print standard -you will have to go the manual for this-different printers etc,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone