Screen loss

john-232317 17:29 28 Oct 2006

Every time I turn on my PC I get nothing on the screen and have to hold the start button in to shut off.
I take the lead to the monitor out from the video card and put it back in, reboot and the screen comes on.
This even happened today while installing a program, it had to restart the PC to complete the installation, on the restart no screen, so had to switch off and do the connection bit.
I have taken the video card out and refitted it making sure of good fit.
Can it be a problem with the power supply, the card, the motherboard, the monitor cable, or what ?
It only happens when power to the PC is shut off, so I am leaving it on all the time. but then living in Spain we get quite a few power cuts so it is beginning to be a pain.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
regards john

Windows XP Professional
ASrock K7S8XE+ 1.0 M B
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Vid card
Samsung S/T 77E/76E Monitor

Technotiger 17:43 28 Oct 2006

Hi, I had a similar problem a while ago, after much toing and froing, it turned out to be the Monitor's own power supply that was faulty - replaced that (free by the suppliers) and no problems since.

If not that, then I would suspect the PC's PSU.

Cheers.

john-232317 06:54 29 Oct 2006

Thanks for the help, maybe a good excuse for a new monitor then. I will see if I can borrow one and see if it is that. There has been no other problem with the monitor though.

Seems strange that just a loss of power for a millisecond loses the video connection. When the lead is off the video card I still get the error screensaver on the monitor saying no connection, so the power must be onto the monitor.
thanks john

Technotiger 08:43 29 Oct 2006

Hi, before you go spending your hard-earned money - Have you updated you Graphics? Or, have you checked the main PSU? I do know about electrics in Spain, my son has same thing happening in Lanzarote - hope you don't mind me including this, from a very proud Dad - my son's website ... click here

Cheers.

Technotiger 08:53 29 Oct 2006

Trouble is, with a problem like this, you really have to check out individually anything that you suspect - you listed the suspects yourself, so the next obvious step is to check each of these items separately, a process of elimination, then, if still no joy you might have an excuse for some new bits!

Buy 'er-indoors' some choccies first!

Cheers.

Technotiger 08:53 29 Oct 2006

Trouble is, with a problem like this, you really have to check out individually anything that you suspect - you listed the suspects yourself, so the next obvious step is to check each of these items separately, a process of elimination, then, if still no joy you might have an excuse for some new bits!

Buy 'er-indoors' some choccies first!

Cheers.

Technotiger 08:54 29 Oct 2006

Ooops - sorry about double posting, I didn't click twice, honest.

john-232317 17:09 30 Oct 2006

I got some new drivers for the card, but I will leave it till the next power cut as I am leaving it on 24/7 ;-)

Nice site, but too big for the screen, I have to scroll across it, white margin on the left and twice as much on the right. If it was centered there would be no scrolling. I use Opera browser.

Technotiger 19:45 30 Oct 2006

Me again - I agree with your comment about being too big for screen, I have already raised this point with him so expect to see it resized soon.
This is his first attempt at producing a magazine and getting it on-line, hence my pride.
The whole thing is All his own work - he uses an AppleMac X10, I think.

Cheers

john-232317 20:30 30 Oct 2006

I used to run a Gymnastics website years ago, and the biggest problem was getting it to look good in all the different browsers ;-).

Its a nice clean site and once he sorts the sizing out it will be fine.
regards john

Technotiger 20:32 30 Oct 2006

Cheers - I will pass on your comments.

John (me too)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?