On-screen keyboard defeats keyloggers. Yes? No?

Jim Thing 19:59 16 Aug 2005

Some months ago I read that keyloggers could be defeated by entering sensitive personal information (one's online bank account details, etc.) only via the on-screen keyboard. Being a naive old man, I've used this method ever since to enter the URL of my bank's website, plus my ID and a "pass phrase" known only to me, that I concocted in accordance with guidelines laid down by my bank.

Understandably, these guidelines were devised to ensure that each client's pass phrase is both unguessable and long. However, the drudgery of entering, at each visit, several lengthy character strings by pointing the mouse at each character in turn and clicking on it is a real pain in the wotsit; dexterity of this kind may come easily to children with mobile phones but not to arthritic old fogeys such as yrs trly.

Is this performance with the on-screen keyboard really necessary or am I being absurdly paranoid? Would it _really_ be risky to enter this kind of information via my (cordless) keyboard?

My system is a stand-alone (i.e. no LAN) desktop PC running XP Home + SP2 on 512kB BB, and I have the full McAfee package plus AdAware, Spybot S&D, MS Anti-Spyware beta and CW Shredder, all kept up to date.

TIA.
Jim

Jackcoms 20:18 16 Aug 2005

I thought the point of keyloggers was to record key strokes of security details which you used at internet sites such as your log-in and password for your online bank.

Thus, whatever type of keyboard you use those key strokes are still being transmitted over the net.

The second point - do you have so much money in your bank account to make it worth breaking into?

I certainly don't. ;-)

stalion 20:21 16 Aug 2005
  Jim Thing 20:48 16 Aug 2005

Thans for your prompt responses.

Jackcoms:
"...do you have so much money in your bank account to make it worth breaking into?"

I'm an OAP ('nuff said?) but I don't want to offer free access to my usual pathetic balance :>)

"...whatever type of keyboard you use those key strokes are still being transmitted over the net."

So I've been wasting my time with the on-screen keyboard?

Stalion:
Thanks for the link. $90 sounds a bit steep, though, to protect a balance like mine (see reply to Jackcom above).

Regards.
Jim

Jim Thing 20:52 16 Aug 2005

Thanks for prompt responses.

Jackcoms:
"...do you have so much money in your bank account to make it worth breaking into?"

I'm an OAP ('nuff said?) but I don't want to offer free access to my usual pathetic balance :>)

"...whatever type of keyboard you use those key strokes are still being transmitted over the net."

So I've been wasting my time with the on-screen keyboard?

Stalion:
Thanks for the link. $90 sounds a bit steep, though, to protect a balance like mine (see reply to Jackcom above).

Regards.
Jim

stalion 20:52 16 Aug 2005

I posted the link for you because it is free to try also if they have started making dedicated anti-keylogger keyboard software you are probably best carrying on as you are
Regards

Jim Thing 20:58 16 Aug 2005

Noted, thanks.

I wonder how you can tell whether that Privacy Keyboard software actually does its job?

apologies for the double posting. That hiccup is spoiling a brilliant forum.

Cheers. Jim

GaT7 22:28 16 Aug 2005

The cost of that Privacy Keyboard software would clean out my bank account before any one else had the chance to do so!! lol : 0 ))) G

wee eddie 10:31 17 Aug 2005

We have had no definitive answer from a bona-fide Software Wizard about the use of the "On-screen" Keyboard. Lots of opinions from the members though.

I ran a similar thread a couple of months back.

I now keep those Security details as part of an unrelated Word Document, from which I copy the relevant items and paste them into the Bank's Log-in Page.

This is not 100% secure but, considering the small quantities of cash involved, makes the effort of hacking my PC, a very low margin job.

ACOLYTE 10:37 17 Aug 2005

If you keep your security up to date,then you should be fairly safe from key loggers,they usually come packaged with downloads of the www so be carfull what you download and you can trust the site you are getting it from.

seedie 10:46 17 Aug 2005

I log onto a High street bank every morning using the keyboard and mouse and 56k modem.No problems so far. The thing is ensure your system is clean and watch what you download. Further, I will only use Outlook Express and internet explorer as a very last resort; prefering to use firefox and popcorn for mail.

rest easily mate

CD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?