Screen freezing for 30s, then starts running again

JanJosipcuk 19:14 25 Nov 2014

My computer started to freeze during playing games, browsing internet, or just doing random windows tasks. The thing is- only the screen froze, the sounds continued to play in the meantime( Teamspeak for instance, or whatever video or audio playing at that time). It happens randomly and can occur 2-3 times in 10 minutes or once in a hour and the freeze duration is 20 seconds to 1 minute. I thought it might be graphic card, but the weird thing i noticed is- when the freeze happens during a game and it resumes afterwards, the game(world of tanks-online game) is stuck at 999 ping and a window with text "connection interrupted" pops out. This confused me a little since the graphics problem can cause screen freezing, or no image showing at all, but it doesnt have anything to do with internet connectivitym right? Can anyone please help me to solve this "mystery"? My specifications : Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit System Model: GA-970A-UD3 BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz Memory: 8192MB RAM Graphic card: Radeon HD 6950 2GB HDD: WD 1TB, 120GB SSD Kingston

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:30 25 Nov 2014

type

sfc / scannow

in the search box an let windows find and replace any missing or corrupt windows files.

JanJosipcuk 21:00 25 Nov 2014

tried it, the problem reappeared shortly :/

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:11 25 Nov 2014

Scan the hard drive for faults

chkdsk /r

JanJosipcuk 21:55 25 Nov 2014

0 bad sectors and the overall result: Volume is clean

wee eddie 22:44 25 Nov 2014

This may not solve the problem, but it costs nothing and might just be the solution.

Get rid of all the dust inside your machine. Particularly the fins of the Heat Exchange unit on the Graphics Card, if they're enclosed.

JanJosipcuk 15:21 26 Nov 2014

@wee eddie Thx for reply but i did this a while ago so this wont be the cause probably...

wee eddie 15:47 26 Nov 2014

JJ: The first time I cleaned out my PC, I did a really thorough job, including blasting the Graphics Card with compressed air.

However a friend, who was riding shotgun on the operation, had me take the cover off the Graphics Card's Fans and it was immediately obvious that all that I had succeeded in doing was creating a solid wedge of fluff between the fins of the heat sink and the cover. Cleared that with a stiff brush, screwed the cover back on, and all was tickety-boo

Bris 18:10 26 Nov 2014

I had a very similar problem yesterday. Screen would freeze with colour striations sometimes it would come back sometimes not. When it came back the screen would clear, I could move the mouse pointer but the buttons wouldnt function, while this was happening the background processes continued to run sometimes other times the PC would freeze.

The cause... the door on the case was pressing on either the power button or reset button to an extent where it was not enough to turn the PC off or restart but the contacts were close enough together to cause this totally unrelated problem.

Considering the above you may have a bad connection somewhere so check that all connections to the motherboard are good including those from the case to the headers on the motherboard and remove all USB devices that are not essential.

To exclude a windows fault try booting from a Linux DVD and run it as a live DVD (dont install it) then if the same happens the problem is hardware related and not windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?