Screen freeze

M12 14:26 18 Jun 2007

Hi guys. Sometimes, my windows XP would freeze. The screen freezes. I can't move the mouse. The keyboard doesn't do anything. The only thing I can do is restart the computer. Strangely, even the restart button doesn't work. The computer would restart, but it stays as a black screen. I turned off the computer, waited for a minute or so, and then it worked. So everytime the screen freezes, I have to turn off the computer, wait a bit, then it will work again. Sometimes, if I don't wait long enough, it will freeze on the windows XP startup screen. The windows XP splash screen is displayed, but it is almost transparent. You can only see it vaguely through a black screen.

Anyway, I've been trying to find out why this is happening. If I'm doing something simple like word processing, the computer never seems to freeze. However, when I'm doing graphic work, it freezes. It also freezes consistently when I export mp3 files in a program named audacity. So I thought, "okay, maybe it freezes when I give the computer too much stress". I thought that was the problem. But I was wrong. One day, I was playing Doom 1 (a very old game that shouldn't put any stress on the PC), and it still froze after a short time. Console emulators also freeze it.

Eventually, I just decided to reformat the harddisk. I did the quick format, and reinstalled windows. Unfortunately, the freezes still occur. However, it does seem to be happening a lot less.

By the way, even if the computer doesn't freeze, sometimes if I restart (after installing a driver, etc), it won't reboot. I have to do the above; turn off computer, wait a bit, then turn it back on.

That's all the information I have. This is really troubling me, as I know next to nothing about computers. If anyone can help, I would be really grateful. Thank you very much.

robbiepaul79 14:31 18 Jun 2007

This could be a problem with your RAM, or maybe your computer is over heating.

ArcAngel67 07:38 03 Sep 2007

I am having a similar problem and I think I might have found the problem. Mine seems to be once I turn automatic updates on and it downloads the updates. Until that point it seems to be working fine. Unfortunately, as soon as I start automatic updates it wants to download in excess of 70 critical updates so which one might be causing the problem???? It seems that I might have to go through all of them one at a time, waiting a day or 2 between updates to see which one is the problem. I have got a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon 64, which when I system restore does it without boot discs. Even trying to system restore doesn't work at times with this problem. Like MI2, it does seem to have more chance of working if I leave it switched off for a few hours.

birdface 08:28 03 Sep 2007

Can you press Ctrl.Alt.and delete at the same time,Processes and see what program s are hogging the Cpu,System idle process should be about 97% if any others let us know what.

birdface 08:34 03 Sep 2007

If you would like to open a new thread for your problem it could be dealt with a bit quicker,Just headline it as ,Unable to download Microsoft Up-Dates or something like that.You could disable Microsoft up-dates just now.That will make your computer run a bit faster.

birdface 08:35 03 Sep 2007

Sorry I should have said that takes you into Task Manager.

FatboySlim71 08:53 03 Sep 2007

Just a thought but with you saying "when I'm doing graphic work, it freezes"

Have you got the most up to date drivers for your graphics card?

If you know the brand & model number of your graphics card it might be an idea to visit the manufacturer's site and see if there is an update for your particular model.

The program below should be able to tell you what make / model of graphics card you have installed. Once you have installed the program and run it; scroll down the page a little till you see the section called "DISPLAY" under there it should tell you the make / model of your installed graphics card.

click here

wee eddie 09:36 03 Sep 2007

Please provide some information about your PC.

The only thing that we know is that you're running XP.

RAM, Processor, how full your Hard Drive is, Software installed, that kind of thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?