Screen does dead.

mike40 09:23 02 Aug 2008

Hi all

For the last couple of days for no apparent reason the screen does black. The power is still on but it flashes up Analogue/digital as though it is looking for a signal. The computer is still on. If I manually turn it off, it starts up OK and is usually fine after that. This morning I got the blue screen telling me one or more of the drives needs to be checked for consistency. This check suggests every is OK. I have re seated the graphics card and both memory modules, but it still continues to do it. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Many thanks

rdave13 09:30 02 Aug 2008

It sounds to me as if the graphics card is on the way out.

mike40 09:36 02 Aug 2008

Hi rdave13.

I am afraid that was my conclusion but before replacing it I thought I would seek views from the forum. My wife's computer has a Nvidia card similar to mine so I may swap them over and see what happens

Many thanks

Mike

mike40 09:41 02 Aug 2008

One other point. My PSU is rated at 300 watts. Sticking to a Nvidia card what is the best card I can use without changing the PSU

Many thanks

rdave13 09:59 02 Aug 2008

Have a look at this; click here

mike40 10:04 02 Aug 2008

Many thanks. That is just what I needed to make my decision

So Afraid 12:18 02 Aug 2008

Just started to get same symptons as yourself,switch on and top left of the screen goes analogue/digital back and forth 6 or 7 times,have to power off and restart,graphics card was my fear as well.

mike40 13:35 02 Aug 2008

Hi So Afraid

I haven't had time to change the card yet. I am just hoping it is nothing to do with recent windows updates. They certain caused me problems with my Belkin wireless connection which sometimes takes ages to connect.

Cheers

So Afraid 14:44 02 Aug 2008

I also tried my other monitor cable to connect to analouge,but it does the same so ive ruled out monitor cables.As i am connected to DVI port i wondered why it should search for analouge signal.

mike40 08:32 03 Aug 2008

Hi again

When the monitor is turned on it tries to find any signal either analogue or digital so I suspect that is why it flashes from one to the other. I have just downloaded the latest drivers for the Nvidia card and so far everything seems to be working fine(fingers crossed. I will leave the tread open for a while in case someone else has a view on the problem)

So Afraid 14:34 03 Aug 2008

I was offered another card last week for free,so i am just waiting to get it and i will see if problems go away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Album Art 2017: Nominees & past winners of Best Art Vinyl Awards to be exhibited

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?