Screen display reverts to XP style

stlucia 11:35 17 Jun 2007

I'm using Windows XP, and I've set the display to "Windows Classic".

From time to time when I switch on I find that the toobars on my display have reverted to the new Windows XP style (predominantly green, with more-rounded icons), though the desktop still retains the background colour and icon size that I'd specified.

I can easily reset the style through the Control Panel, but I'm just curious whether this behaviour is indicative of a bug or of some component on the verge of failure.

Snec 12:41 17 Jun 2007

I wonder: Does this happen after you have used a registry cleaner?

stlucia 19:56 17 Jun 2007

I use CCleaner quite regularly, but this latest instance (yesterday) was definately not after using CC -- last time I used it was about a week ago.

woodchip 20:25 17 Jun 2007

I set mine on the desktop and in Windows Explorer to Classic

stlucia 21:22 17 Jun 2007

OK, I've specified Windows Classic Folders in Explorer. But when I use Explorer it's always been displayed in what I would call a classic format -- I'm pretty sure it's not it that's changing my display because I use it regularly and my display only changes occasionally.

ambra4 01:25 18 Jun 2007

Folks

there are 4 areas you have to set

1 - Right Click task bar go properties,start menu, change to classic start menu,

ambra4 01:28 18 Jun 2007

2 - click customize, tick all box's and remove the personalized tick

ambra4 01:35 18 Jun 2007

3 - right click the desktop, properties, themes change to classic,appearance tab change buttons and color setting

4 - Right click my computer,properties,advanced,performance,change to best performace

stlucia 08:21 18 Jun 2007

ambra4, items 1 and 3 were already as you've specified. I've just changed items 2 and 4 as you suggest -- item 4 was set to "Let Windows choose what's best for my computer".

So, I'll see how things go now, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017