Screen on boot up, not BSOD

emmandelo1 16:31 11 Mar 2007

Hi, I have a laptop and a desktop and I have developed the same problem on both machine. windows XP SP2 on both machines. If I restart them from hibernation there is no problem at all but if I turn the machines on normally from cold (or warm) on both machines it will get to the 'Loading your personal settings' screen then I get a blue screen that can last for up to 3 minutes before the desktop eventually appears. Also during this blue screen phase there is a loud sort of 'doink' noise from the speakers and the hourglass appears every now and again. It's almost as if something is trying to load and fails causing the noise. Any ideas?

The Brigadier 17:05 11 Mar 2007

Often this can be caused by utilities & anti-virus software booting up before the pc can, it hogs resources hence slows the pc down whilst booting.

What AV are you using?

emmandelo1 17:41 11 Mar 2007

On both machines am using Avast. Also using Zone Alarm on both. I've used Mike Lin's Startup to reduce everything to the bare essentials on boot.

emmandelo1 18:59 11 Mar 2007

Bump*

woodchip 19:03 11 Mar 2007

From Start\Run type msconfig go to startup tab and see what as got a tick

emmandelo1 19:11 11 Mar 2007

Hi woodchip, on the startup tab I have TWCU, wltray, zlclient, AshDisp and ctfmon.

woodchip 19:18 11 Mar 2007

Is this the first
Telephone Workers' Credit Union?
wltray
Dell Wireless WLAN Card
zlclient
ZoneAlarm
AshDisp
Avast AntiVirus

If you have MS Office try running without.....ctfmon

VoG II 19:19 11 Mar 2007

TWCU click here

emmandelo1 19:25 11 Mar 2007

LOL, TWCU is actually something to do with my wireless link. TP-Link. I don't have the full ofiice suite, just MS word so I try unticking ctfmon and reboot.

emmandelo1 19:42 11 Mar 2007

Okay, did that, problem persists!

emmandelo1 20:15 11 Mar 2007

Does anyone know of a diagnostic tool that I can download that will tell me what is happening during boot up. I've looked at event log and nothing unusual is reported.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?