Screen blur

frojimol 16:14 25 Apr 2009

Mesh pc,Athlon64-3500-2.2gh,2G RAM,XP,NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE, BIOS:American Megatrends Inc. 1008.003 10/27/2004

Hi all. When booting up, the screen displays the "Detecting IDE Drives" page OK. After that it starts rolling and blurring, even before the windows logo appears. When boot up has finished everything is OK unless I try to play a game, then the rolling starts again. I've tried getting onto the "Select boot device" page as I have an external hardrive which the PC tries to boot from if it is connected at startup, but the blurring happens again. Its so bad that there is just white streaks where the lines of text should be. I've tried contacting Mesh and they said it was a monitor fault and sent me a replacement. This worked fine for about a week then the same thing happened. It seems some monitors work and others don't as I have tried a few borrowed from friends. I've also updated the graphics drivers and once again the display was OK for a couple of days then reverted to the rolling.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jim Berridge

Pineman100 16:26 25 Apr 2009

Are you sure that the refresh rate set for your monitor doesn't exceed its capability? This can cause damage.

frojimol 16:37 25 Apr 2009

The monitors refresh rate is 60Hertz. I've also tried it at 70 but no joy. the blurring starts at the very first bootup screen which is a NVidia logo. This makes me think it may be a graphics problem.

DieSse 19:25 25 Apr 2009

"This makes me think it may be a graphics problem."

I think you might be correct. In which case you'll need to try another graphics card to prove it one way or another.

If you start your system in safe mode (pressing the F8 key whilst booting) click here

This cuts out all but the most basic of graphics drivers, and basic operating mode of the card.

bgrave 19:53 25 Apr 2009

Hello. I have a new PC running Vista Home Premium 64Bit with a huge HD with only two partitions; at the moment the C drive has 273Gb free space and the D drive 410Gb free space. Both partitions are primary I presume that has been done in case I want a duel boot option, which I will not.

I have Paragon Partition Manager 10 and I want to create some smaller partitions in the free space of each drive. I have partitioned every HD that I have ever had but as I do not do this very often I forget what I have to do and I really do not want to mess things up. Should I use the “Create Partition” or the “Re – Size” option and should I tick the Logical drive box. I have tried the Paragon support but there seems to be a cross language problem.

bgrave 19:56 25 Apr 2009

Sorry about this wrong place.

johnnyrocker 19:59 25 Apr 2009

it would be far better to post your question on it's own instead of hi jacking someone elses

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?