school network upgrade

Deputy Dog 08:18 20 Jan 2007

I am looking to renew the server on my school network. We run 16 stations in a suite and 24 PCs n classrooms. The current system is a P111 machine. What does anyone reccommend nowadays as a medium capability server box?

Zero G 21:58 20 Jan 2007

Depends what you want to spend?
You can get quiet good cheap servers through Dell, are you a Council run school or Private?

Deputy Dog 20:06 21 Jan 2007

The cost is obviously important but semi future proofing by allowing for upgrades is probably more so, if this is possible? We would also maybe want to add more stations as the time passes.

The Brigadier 19:23 22 Jan 2007

A good server from Dell would be fine, the point Zero G was making i think was that if you are a state run school then you may have more buying clout than with a private school.

So you could get more for your money, suggest you look at Dells UK site click here for more info.

Deputy Dog 20:50 22 Jan 2007

sorry ! We are a state school. I have looked at Dell - what differences are there in the types of set up when running this number of stations?

The Brigadier 08:00 24 Jan 2007

If your a state run school your local education authority/county council may have a policy to use 1 preferred supplier who gives you a better deal. That way saving you £££

The Brigadier 18:28 24 Jan 2007

Have a look @ click here

Deputy Dog 20:16 24 Jan 2007

Thanks again, will look carefully at the weekend. Our County goes with RM but??? I would rather look myself at them and others

The Brigadier 15:03 25 Jan 2007

What do your School IT Manager or IT Tech's think, their view should really be the important factor when deciding as they are the ones in day-to-day contact with maintaining the network?

Ask them??

Deputy Dog 19:09 25 Jan 2007

I am the nearest thing to an IT techie we have. Our manager is software only experienced. I used to work with PCs but not for about 4/5 years- hence the questions.

The Brigadier 08:12 26 Jan 2007

Had a look @ RM's website and what offer is expensive for what you get. I suggest you contact Dell and see what they advise. But if your LEA use RM you may be forced to use them.

What ever server you choose get one that will let you connect up to 100, this way it will not stop you from expanding at a later date!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?