Scheduled Task Problem

curlydave 10:58 16 Mar 2006

Hi All,
I run Windows Xp (Professional)
Today I thought I would set Check Disk, Disk Clean and Disk Defragment to run 'automatically' using the Scheduled Task facility.
As a test I set the Check Disk process to run an hour after setting,
but all that happened was that the process window 'opened'.

Now forgive me if I am being stupid (and expecting a bit too much) but does Scheduled Task actually set a process to run automatically or does it just act as a prompt device?.. I think I know which one it's going to be!

Thanks for any help or advice.

curlydave.

FatboySlim71 11:16 16 Mar 2006

Scheduled Task should run/open the program that you have scheduled, what does the process window say on it.

FatboySlim71 12:10 16 Mar 2006

I have just tried to schedule a task, I am also running XP PRO,

First go into control panel, performance and maintainance, scheduled tasks,

Add scheduled task, click next, choose your program from the list, click next, choose daily or weekly, monthly etc, click next, choose time, click next, I did not need to enter a password at this point so just click next, tick the box that says "OPEN ADVANCED PROPERTIES FOR THIS TASK WHEN I CLICK FINISH" click finish, you may get a window appearing showing an error code saying access is denied, but just click ok, on the next window tick the box that says "RUN ONLY IF LOGGED ON" click apply then click ok. The task should now run at the scheduled time, I have tried this and it does work. Let me know how you get on.

curlydave 18:26 16 Mar 2006

FatboySlim71, Thanks for the response.
I was doing all you suggested in the first place, including the 'Advanced Properties' section, the only action I was not taking was to check the 'Run Only If Logged On' box (have never encountered the error message!.. so I tried it.. exactly the same thing happens..at say 18.10pm (the time I set for Disk Clean for example), the little dialouge box opens up with the usual request:

Select Drive
Select the drive you want to clean-up
Drives:
C DRIVE (C)

this is what I mean about the prompt issue.. how does the Scheduler know which drive etc..to run 'automatically'.. is a command prompt required somewhere in the Wizard set-up?.
Thank you for your help so far, but this is doing my head in..what am I missing?

FatboySlim71 21:57 16 Mar 2006

Sorry I can't be anymore help, but when I scheduled the disc clean program to run at the scheduled time, it just loaded up as it would if you had selected it from within the control panel.

westwit 00:06 17 Mar 2006

The problem is that disk clean needs to be told what to do, as there are options. Try click here

curlydave 10:38 17 Mar 2006

Thanks for your help anyway FatboySlim71.

I think westwit's link has hit the nail on the head, it appears that to get a task to run 'automatically' that also requires a selection option on start (such as select drive C or D on Disk Clean-up) then you must also insert a command prompt in the Scheduled Task Wizard indicating your choice.

Thanks westwit, I will now sort out the prompts for the various tasks I require running 'automatically'!!.. incidentally Microsofts website on the subject of Schedule Tasks does not mention this 'little' point, thus this thread!

Once again thanks both for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?