Schedule programmes to run?

aca 09:51 18 Mar 2006

Is it possible and how can I use XP Pro or (or any other software) to automatically run security programmes such as Avast/Ewido/Trojanhunter.

Can I schedule as tasks?

thanks

rawprawn 09:55 18 Mar 2006

Unless a program has it's own buit in scheduler such as Windows Defender, you can't do it.

VoG II 09:58 18 Mar 2006

You may be able to do this using Scheduled Tasks.

To schedule a new task

Open Scheduled Tasks.

Double-click Add Scheduled Task.

Follow the instructions in the Scheduled Task Wizard.

Notes

To open Scheduled Tasks, click Start, click All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Scheduled Tasks.

If you want to configure advanced settings for the task, select the Open advanced properties for this task when I click Finish check box on the final page of the wizard.

Confirm that the system date and time on your computer are accurate, because Scheduled Tasks relies on this information to run scheduled tasks. To verify or change this information, double-click the time indicator on the taskbar.

If you leave the password blank and you want the task to run when you are logged on, open the task. On the Task tab, select the Run only if logged on check box. The task will run at its scheduled time when the user who created the task is logged on to the computer.

March Hare 13:06 18 Mar 2006

I've got programs like Diskeeper Lite, Ad-aware and Disc cleanup in my Scheduled Tasks.

Although they don't run automatically, at the scheduled time the program interface appears on the screen, so if I'm there it just needs a click to start the program running.

rawprawn 10:03 19 Mar 2006

1) Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Scheduled Tasks
2) Add Scheduled Task
3) In the wizard that appears click Next - a list of programs will appear, do not use avast.exe !
4) Click Browse and navigate to C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4 (Assuming it's in the default location)
5) Select the file ashQuick.exe
6) On the next screen give the task a name of your choice and choose how often you want it to run and click Next
7) On the next screen set your preferred scheduling options and click Next
8) On the next screen enter the user name and password for the Windows user you want the task to run as, then click on Next. Solo users with admin rights should find the box filled in already. If you don't use a password, leave it blank.
9) On the next screen check the box for the option "Open advanced properties for this task when I click Finish", and then click Finish
10) On the next screen, in the "Run" field you will see the path for the ashQuick.exe program. After the closing quote enter a space and type in the path(s) that you want scanned. Multiple paths must be separated by a space and any paths that include a space in the path name must be in quotes. For example:-

"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" C: this will scan the entire contents of the C drive.
"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" C: D: This will scan both C & D drives ( letters dependant on partitions).
"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" D:\My Documents\Mail backup will scan the contents of any folder where you specify the file path. Don't forget the colon after the drive letter. (The address quoted is just a sample, don't use it verbatim. )
11) Click OK
12) To test your newly created task, from the Scheduled Tasks window, right-click on the task's icon and choose "Run" from the popup menu. If the scan doesn't begin correctly you'll get an error message. The problem is most likely in the scan path (missing the quotes or the space before the path address, ie "C: instead of " C: ) If you don't have a logon password for your account you may need to tick "Run only if logged on" otherwise it may fail by not finding something that doesn't exist.
14) Close the Scheduled Tasks window.

Courtesy several postings in avast! forum, tested and works fine.

aca 18:53 19 Mar 2006

thanks to all, particularly Rawprawn, will give it a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?