Scarface - DirectX Error

rodriguez 10:49 22 Oct 2006

I just installed Scarface for the PC and get a DirectX error message saying: "D3DERR_INVALIDCALL Code: 2156, facility: 2166, severity: 1". Is this likely to be a hardware or software fault? My graphics card is just an Nvidia GeForce 4 with no pixel shader and a couple of games haven't run in the past because of that. The rest of the PC is Win XP, 2.4 Ghz Celeron and 512 MB RAM. DirectX also installed with the game so it's the latest version.

SANTOS7 10:53 22 Oct 2006

The software is trying to make an invalid call to, access an invalid point in, DirectX.

There is no way you can personally fix this. Instead, make sure you have the latest version of DirectX for your computer and check the software company's web site for an update. Finally, make sure the software is compatible with the version of DirectX installed on your computer (should be listed in the software requirements).

ICF 10:58 22 Oct 2006

Download the latest version from click here

rodriguez 11:01 22 Oct 2006

Thanks, but DirectX actually came with the game and installed itself with the game so it should be the right version. Also if I run the DirectX setup file it says I already have a current or newer version. Do you think reinstalling the whole thing would help?

SANTOS7 11:28 22 Oct 2006

click here

error may be related to this "d3dx9_29.dll file" the thread may help..

rodriguez 12:19 22 Oct 2006

I installed the October version of DirectX and still had the same problem - I'm starting to think it's the graphics card because I read it needed TnL and I don't think my card has that. So I downloaded 3D Analyzer and forced software TnL, and it kinda looks a bit...rubbish. click here and click here. I think there are some new drivers out for my card, so I'll try those and if that doesn't work I'll get a new card.

SANTOS7 12:23 22 Oct 2006

Could be the way to go, keep in touch, would like to know how its resolved for future ref,good luck..

mattyc_92 12:30 22 Oct 2006

Newest version for your Graphics Card drivers is v91.47 from click here

I can't seem to find a "Minimum Spec" for this game... Sorry

SANTOS7 12:36 22 Oct 2006

Operating System: Windows® XP with SP2
Processor: Pentium® 4 2.8 GHz or AMD® equivalent
DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card and speakers or headphones
Video Card: DirectX 9.0c-compatible video card (ATI Radeon x800 or NVIDIA GeForce FX 6800) or higher
Disk Space: 5 GB of uncompressed hard drive space
CD Speed: 16x DVD-ROM
RAM: 512 MB RAM

fiar assumption its your video card..

martjc 12:53 22 Oct 2006

...then you will probably have trouble with this game. Some fairly recent cards don't support DX version 9 or above, ergo, no PixShaders.

If you can't make it work with the latest drivers, get a newer card.

gudgulf 13:04 22 Oct 2006

What eaxactly is the model of your graphics card.

ALL GeForce 4s support hardware T&L and are hardware DirectX 8 (or DirectX 7 for the mx cards) and support pixel shader 1.0.

Some games require Hardware support for Pixel shader 2 and wont run if it isn't there.

The game lists a minimum of GeForce 5xxx series and at least 128MB of video ram so it looks like your 4xxx series card is not supported.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?