Scans crash computer

carper 12:07 19 Nov 2007

When I do a scan with antispyware, the scan will run for a length of time and then turns to a blue screen with advise on contacting software manufacturers etc. and also gives a list of commands which are gobble-de-gook to me. Do Antispyware programmes conflict with each other in the same way as firewalls.. I run the usual, Adaware, Spybot,Spyware Blaster, AVG antispyware,Superantispyware, or am I a bit paranoid. Any comments appreciated. Regards Carper

martjc 12:17 19 Nov 2007

...a little too careful. In direct answer to your question: Anti spyware in an active mode can conflict with similar programs. It may be better to just leave one active and the others in passive mode to be run [say] once a week, one at a time.

birdface 12:18 19 Nov 2007

Is it any particular Anti-Spyware program or do they all do it.Up-date them and go into safe mode and run them and see if you have the same problem.No you are not being paranoid.better safe than sorry.

carper 13:19 19 Nov 2007

Thanks for your comments. It will take a little time to run them all but I will post back with the results Carper

Totally-braindead 13:39 19 Nov 2007

Personally I do think you are going a bit far. You said it yourself, running the scans will take a "little time".

As you may know you need one and only one anti virus and one and only one firewall. You can have as many antispyware/malware programs as you like but you must make sure they only run when you want them to run, two running in the background could conflict.

The magazines concensus seems to be have at least two malware programs, maybe three if you wish. You seem to have five which is to me a bit OTT but that of course is up to you, if you don't mind doing all the updates and scans then thats fine.

I have run all the programs you list at one time or another and none of them come up with the things you say yours is doing so theres two possabilities as far as I can see.
Wither you have downloaded one of the programs from a dodgy source and it has some malware in it or you have something on your computer in the way of malware.
I only download programs from their source, for example AVG I download only from Grisoft or whoever they choose to link to and the same for all the others. Get the files from the source if you can not from third parties.

Totally-braindead 13:41 19 Nov 2007

Wither = Either, sorry.

carper 09:22 20 Nov 2007

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impresssion that Spyware Blaster was the only one that is active in real time, but the others only live when carrying out a scan. Regards Carper

carper 19:10 20 Nov 2007

Marg 7. Thanks for your comment. I remember something about "teatimer" when I installed the programme many years ago and have never given it another thought.
I have now uninstalled some of my programmes in favour of Superantispy pro which appears to be very effective and has scanned without problem. Regards Carper

carper 11:02 22 Nov 2007

Thanks for your replies. I have removed all except Adaware and Superantispyware and everyything seems to be fine now. There obviously was some conflict
Regards Carper

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?