Scanning to Word Problem

Kaacee 12:38 10 Sep 2006

I am currently using a HP 1350 all-in-one scanner and when i want to scan an original document to Word the following problem arises.

I access HP director. select scan document and it duly scans to the HP preview screen, i accept the preview and it then sends the scanned document to Word, now this is where the problem occurs, upon reaching Word, some of the document is corrupt, i e instead of showing a "G" it appears that the software has detected a "6" and shows as such.....other faults are a ")" instead of a "Y" and "~" instead of "u" etc etc

Can anyone suggest a cure for this please?

pj123 12:57 10 Sep 2006

I don't have an MFD but if/when I scan a document direct in to Word it is scanned as a picture. It looks to me like your MFD is scanning in to Word via an OCR as an editable document as opposed to a picture.

OCRs generally have to be taught over a period of time to recognise all characters. I haven't used an OCR for ages now but I think all you have to do is edit the characters not being recognised and after a while it remembers them.

DieSse 15:05 10 Sep 2006

Even the best paid for (ie - not the freebie you get with a scanner) will make mistakes with OCR.

Make sure you put the document into the scanner very square - the OCR has best chance of recognising the characters then. Also poorly printed, creased documents will not come out so well, nor out-of-the-ordinary fonts.

If you want to scan the document in as a picture - you have to choose this early on in the scanning process.

Diemmess 15:38 10 Sep 2006

"Even the best paid for (ie - not the freebie you get with a scanner) will make mistakes with OCR"

My main use for OCR software is village magazine copy. Nowadays less used when contributors email the doc to me! Have had various (improving and costly) software currently OmniPage

As well as DieSse's ideas, you can add scanning at better than 200 dpi, and if you are using newsprint or thin paper docs, put a sheet of something black behind the document to reduce the chance of confusion by bleed through from the other side.

If you do decide to pay out for better OCR software, Omnipage when I bought it, offered an upgrade for far less money. It is the full program.
No apparent check on any previous program being present. (Probably wishing to sell at any price.)

pj123 15:59 10 Sep 2006

As Diemmess says, I find that OCRs are being used less these days. Documents can be emailed "as is", but sometimes I get a document faxed to me which arrives in my Inbox as a .gif.

As my typing speed is 70wpm I find it is quicker to retype it up in word than it is to run it through an OCR and then spend a lot of time editing it.

Kaacee 18:10 10 Sep 2006

Thanks all for your input, wasn't aware that OCR was so temperamental, however, problem has been solved by importing scanned documents into Word using Word's own software.

Will mark as resolved

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires