Scanning software

drew645 10:12 28 Sep 2003

I hope someone can help solve my problem.
I have bought a Visioneer 9000 scanner which works fine but the Paperport software supplied seems horrendous.
All I want to do is scan pages into JPEG format and save to My Documents. The mass of options doesn't include this. If it does, I can't find it.
Can anyone reccommend some simple (ideally free!) software suitable for a newbie?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Andrew

Al94 10:28 28 Sep 2003

I found this software usefull, shareware. click here

Al94 10:29 28 Sep 2003

Sorry, it stores as TIFF

Simsy 10:35 28 Sep 2003

whether what you want to scan is images/pictures, or whether you want to scan something that is a documents in order to extract the text?

You will have to install the scanner/twain drivers, but you don't then need to use, (or even install), any other bundled software that came with the scanner.

If you just want to get images, you should be able to do this from within any image manipulation prog, such as the popular Irfanview, available from click here

With Irfanview open you click File>Acquire and the interface for your scanner, (ie whats installed by the scanner driver installation), appears. Do your scan and it appears open in Irfanview and you can save it how you like.

The principle is the same for all image editors I've used.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Simsy

MAJ 10:36 28 Sep 2003

Use Irfanview click here and scan into that using File > Acquire after you set File > Select Twain Source to recognise your scanner. It will scan using your scanner's software interface but dump the scanned image into Irfanview's interface, ready for you to save and manipulate it in anyway you wish.

Belatucadrus 10:43 28 Sep 2003
  drew645 22:42 28 Sep 2003

Thanks to all, I have tried Irfanview and it works fine. It's a lot simpler to use for the likes of me!
Thanks again,
Andrew

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017