Scanning slides onto PC

bruno 12:17 28 Dec 2006

While unearthing the Christmas decorations from the loft I came across several hundred slides of my kids and relatives from the 60's and 70's.I would like to get them onto my PC(so I can blackmail my daughters).I would like advice on a cheapish,efficient method of doing this.At the moment I have a 4 year old Canoscan N650U ,scanner,but would not mind upgrading if necessary.I believe I have read about adaptors and wondered if they are any good and if they work with an LED scanner like mine.

ICF 12:23 28 Dec 2006

I have the Epson 3170 photo scanner and it does 4 slides at a time and is excellent.They probably don't make it anymore but there will be a similar model.

bruno 12:40 28 Dec 2006

Thanks for that.I will look on the Epson site.

eedcam 12:42 28 Dec 2006

Ditto for ICF but different epson . I expect the advice you are better getting a dedicted slide scannerwill come up but the results I have had are more than satisfactory .I would go for for an upgrde that can do it.

Newuser38 13:27 28 Dec 2006

I use a Canoscan 3200F not sure if it is available any more but have used it for slides and photos of same period as yours.

anskyber 13:31 28 Dec 2006

I use the Canoscan 5200F which has a slide tray for such uses. The whole process (and this is true of all slide scanners) is mind numbingly slow.

If you have a large slide collection be prepared for many hours of tedium!

Sirpad 14:11 28 Dec 2006

I bought an Epson 3490 Photo scanner last year for under £100 and it scans 3 slides at a time. It's quite slow but when you get into the groove it isn't that bad and well worth the effort in the end. The quality is great, as are the rewards.

bruno 16:14 03 Jan 2007

Went mad and bought myself a Canon 4400F which takes four slides at a time and works very well giving excellent results.Thank you all for the input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone