Scanning sepia photos

Teasle 16:15 21 Mar 2003

I have tried to scan some 1900s sepia photos in to my computer. Although the quality of these originals isn't perfect,the quality shown once scanned is very bad. I do not know anything about imaging so just pressed the scan button. Can anybody tell me if I can do anything to get a better quality of photo or recommend something to read so I can try to work out for myself what buttons I should be pressing. I have looked at the help contents that came with the software supplied with the scanner and they are not much help. My scanner is a Cannon LIDE supplied with Arcsoft Photostudio5.

bigray 16:18 21 Mar 2003

scan in colour at 300dpi, they should be Ok, hope this helps

Teasle 16:45 21 Mar 2003

Thanks bigray but this is what I have been doing by default. I think I may have cracked it any way as I have been playing about in the mean time and found if I did scratch removal the photos came out alot better.

Tenner 17:21 21 Mar 2003

Try Links ( above ) > Support > 'Scanning - a source of help click here

Explore this site - you might find what you need.

Hope it helps

Regards

Teasle 11:06 22 Mar 2003

Thank you Tenner. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Very useful.

Tenner 23:10 22 Mar 2003

Yesterday's DigitalPhoto mag for April @ £4.95 ( a tad expensive, but could be worth every penny for some ) has a Cd on front with 2 hours of Video clips -Tuition on PhotoShop,with commentaries. The first is on scanning - some basics, which might just save you several hours of trial and error ! - wish I'd had it 3 years ago.

Obviously cannot guarantee you'll find it useful, but it's worth a look - even a peek in the shop, cos there are descriptions in the mag of projects for you to try with sample photos.

Hope it helps.

Regards

woodchip 23:27 22 Mar 2003

If you use too higher resolution with old photos they will show every scratch and mark that you thought did not exist. you are better sticking with a max of 200dpi

Teasle 08:31 24 Mar 2003

Thank you Tenner I will have a peak at the magazine and thanks Woodchip for the advice. Lots of good tips for me to try. I will post this thread when I have studied scanning further and let you know how I got on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?