Scanning to pdf: file size too large

dkp 19:22 02 Sep 2008

If i can explain: I used to scan 14 pages of A4 to a searchable pdf via a HP ScanJet 4370.... It took ages, page by page, but produced an 'OK' pdf about 2mb....

I upgraded to a HP OfficeJet Pro All-in-One L7680 with adf, but now scanning produces a filesize 6mb! Why, does anyone know? The EWS on the L7680 does not give any clues....

Thanks in advance

Simsy 19:38 02 Sep 2008

is that the resolution has changed, either in the scanning, or in the .pdf coversion.

Other possibilities, (assuming it isn't an identical document to that previously scanned), are more graphics, and/or more fonts that have been included.

IS OCR involved? If not and the pdf is just effectively pages of "images" of the scanned documents, I'd strongly suspect my first suggestion, that the resolution is different from previosuly.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

dkp 20:17 02 Sep 2008

.... thanks, but both resolutions are 'set' to 300 dpi, but the L7680 does not seem to be performing OCR, just producing 14pages of jpeg effectively.... then changing it to a pdf...
I am sure it is a case of telling the L7680, just how?

Thanks again

Simsy 20:33 02 Sep 2008

when it produces the .jpg files they are not being compressed as much as previously?

Regards.

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?