Scanning old photo from book

shellship 10:05 03 Nov 2010

I need to reproduce an old (1900)black and white photo from a book. I can scan it OK, using either my Canon or my wife's HP but the result seems to be full of little squares. Tried different resolutions, colour or black and white, all with the same result. Is the scanner picking up something from the photo in the book that the eye cannot see?

Help appreciated please.

Woolwell 10:14 03 Nov 2010

You could well be picking up a moire pattern. When scanning from books or documents you should use a different setting from photos. My Epson scanner has a setting for black and white documents for example. Does your scanner(s) have a setting to reduce moire?

Nontek 10:16 03 Nov 2010

When scanning old photos it is important to make sure that the scanner bed and the photo, are as free from dust particles as possible. It also sometimes helps if you can place a clean transparent sheet between photo and scanner. Being from a book, as opposed to the original print, moire effect is what you are describing!

click here

Blackhat 10:19 03 Nov 2010

The best results I have had have been to photograph the image with a digital camera, be careful to use a tripod and natural light. Allow some space around your image and carefully crop in editing software.

shellship 10:24 03 Nov 2010

Gee. Thank you guys for speedy responses. That's got me busy for the rest of the day.

shellship 16:11 03 Nov 2010

Scanner software was not much use but played with Paint Shop Pro and think I have cracked it. Many thanks again.

woodchip 16:46 03 Nov 2010

Yes its just as the scanner sees its News Print. But some software and some scanner software can to some extent get around most of it, if set correctly in scanner

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?