Scanning in the odd newspaper with web-cam

myfoot 15:30 09 May 2007

aldi have a web cam 1.3MPx on offer on Thursday, wondering if there is anyone who has got presentable/readable results using a web-cam for scanning. Don't want to have a big scanner around the room as it would not be used that often.
tnx

recap 15:41 09 May 2007

Not heard of using a web cam to scan documents before. It may be difficult, you would need to focus the web cam correctly and keep the paper at a certain distance to stop it pix-elating.

Pamy 15:48 09 May 2007

What do you actually mean when you say "Scan"?
I have taken pictures with a digital camera of writing etc. and am able to read it OK when transfered to mt computer

myfoot 15:54 09 May 2007

I suppose taking picture is the same, and maybe picture is better as scanning is what you do with a scanner. I want to send the odd newspaper/magazine story as an email attachment. Would hope the receiver could read the newspaper.

Pamy 16:07 09 May 2007

I do not think you would be able to take a picture of the complete page that would be readable. Not sure how close you cold get to the paper with the web cam and be in focus . my digital camera will go to about 5mm.

woodchip 16:16 09 May 2007

To be able to read a Page you would have to do it as pamy says at a fair resolution so that the picture could be zoomed to read it. But it would be a big file to do it, and send. You may get away with a 2MB file

Pamy 16:21 09 May 2007

My camers is 4mega pixels. Sorry I ment as close as 5cm previous post

myfoot 16:21 09 May 2007

Will probably the buy the web-cam anyway and I suppose will see. No wouldn't expect to capture the whole page, but my mobile is 1.3MPx and I'm sure I could not manage any newspaper photo that would be readable with it. Just doesn't focus very sharply. I supose web cams might be better as their intended to be used at shorter range. if someone comes on and says there is a web-cam at £30 to £100 that is good for this I think that is beyond my interest in the matter, my money tree is a stunted weed.

HondaMan 20:42 09 May 2007

is a Reader at the National Records Office. He "copies" documents with a Sony T30, puts them through an OCR programme and has better than 80% editable files.

The files are all perfectly readable by eye.

myfoot 21:27 09 May 2007

Heh HondaMan your friends Sony T30 is a 7Mpix camera is a much different proposition to a 1.3Mpix web-cam, but thanks for your interest anyway. Maybe I should think a bit longer if I want to do this with a web-cam and resist the offer at Aldi for the present.

Maybe start a new post and ask for people who got good results with a web-cam. Will PM Pamy see if she is using a web-cam. thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?