Scanning multiple photos

U10 17:42 06 Sep 2004

Does anyone know of software that allows say 6 photos to be placed on a flatbed scanner and scanned to separate files in one go to save me scanning one at a time. I have a lot of photos to convert from print to file but don't have the negatives. I ahve an Epson scanner. Thanks.

Dorsai 18:12 06 Sep 2004

My scanner, before it died, used to let me set multiple scan boxes, so i could put more than one item in it, and scan them to seperate files, but it was such a pain to set up the different scan areas (colour depth, resolution, size etc), that it was quicker to do them one at a time.

Pesala 21:33 06 Sep 2004

click here

Assuming that the photos are 6"x4" prints you should be able to scan three at once. Alignment with the edge of the scanning bed would crop a bit off, so cut out a cardboard template to keep them in the sweet spot of the scanner and prevent them from skewing.

1. Scan and save each set of three photos as a single image. \temp\Scan001, \temp\Scan002, etc.

2. Using Irfan View's batch job feature three times you could crop each of these scans to the same area - first top left, then top right, then bottom centre. This is why a template is important as the photos will be in exactly the same place on the scan bed. click here for the dialogue box for batch operations. click here for the whole tutorial.

3. The batch operation also must rename the files when cropping so that your original scans always remains untouched.

4. After each batch job, open each cropped photo, rotate if necessary and save with an appropriate name to a different directory.

5. Delete \temp\Scan001 etc, and perform batch job two to crop the second photo from each scan.

6. Repeat for batch job three.

Save all files as TIFF to avoid any loss of quality. Later you can use the batch feature again to resize and convert the cropped photos to JPG to save space. Keep the original scans untouched in case you mess up.

Pesala 21:42 13 Sep 2004

Did you end up scanning them all one by one?

zig 22:28 13 Sep 2004

i got an epson perfection 1670 which allows multiple scanning to individual files.

my last scanner was a mustek 12000sp scsi which also allowed batch scanning.

i thought all scanners offered this option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017