Scanning Letters

NSBT 18:13 09 Mar 2008

Hi

Is there anything on the market I can purchase that scans letters and saves them on my computer?

I'm referring to things like letters, bills, general correspondence etc, etc.

I usually file such documents, but curious if I can scan them and shred them once I have a copy.

TIA

MAJ 18:31 09 Mar 2008

Your scanner might have come with some OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software bundled with it. That software will allow you to scan documents in an editable format.

MAJ 18:39 09 Mar 2008

Of course, if you don't need to edit the documents, just scan them and save them as in jpeg format. That will allow you to keep a permanent copy stored on your computer, CD, DVD, etc.

woodchip 18:58 09 Mar 2008

It deppends what you want to do with them, As above you can scan and ocr them this make them so you can edit them. Oryou can scan and just save as a jpeg image file, as a photo

Peter 19:03 09 Mar 2008

You could try Scansnap. It's a bit expensive, but it does take care a lot of the work for you. A Google search produced the following result - click here

Peter.

Peter 19:03 09 Mar 2008

You could try Scansnap. It's a bit expensive, but it does take care a lot of the work for you. A Google search produced the following result - click here

Peter.

Peter 19:04 09 Mar 2008

Whoops, sorry about the double post; a bit trigger happy!

Peter.

NSBT 19:16 09 Mar 2008

Hi Folks

Thanks for the information, all I want to do with the documents is scan and file, these are utility bills.

My printer is old, HP 750 psc, I've tried scanning some utility bills but nothing seems to be happening, do I need a new printer and scanner?

Peter, thanks, but that's a bit expensive for what I need, however thanks for the link.

laurie53 19:46 09 Mar 2008

I have a perfectly ordinary multi-function device (HP), and scan nearly all my paperwork using the normal software which came with it.

Any reasonable scanner should be able to do this, given the right software.

lotvic 19:46 09 Mar 2008

Try updating the software and driver for your HP PSC 750 All-in-One
h t t p : //h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&cc=us&product=57769 without the spaces
or link made tiny click here

NSBT 19:53 09 Mar 2008

Thanks guys, I'm going to give that update another go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?