Scanning and document management systems.

1936 17:16 28 May 2008

I have a lot of typed documents that I would like to scan and then be able to search the results when researching material that may be in them. I know that I could build a set of folders, name them and then name documents that I save to them but I suspect that may be more cumbersome than is necesary, so:
Does anyone know of an efficent package that will do the above for me?

Diemmess 17:30 28 May 2008

Scanning will only produce an image or picture of each document.

The first critical point is the optical character recognition program which miraculously converts the picture into editable text.

The final point is to use a word processor (Word) which is more than adequate to carry out Finds and Searches for whatever you are seeking.

By no means cheapest but the way my computer resolves this for me is Scansoft's Omnipage v.12 and Word.

There are cheaper (and good) OCR packages just as Word is not the only word processor.

Diemmess 17:42 28 May 2008

What I described is OK for a small number of pages, but if you have a scanner which can feed a whole pile of pages from a tray like a printer, then you are away .... at a cost.

Daiol 19:29 28 May 2008

If you have a load of documents,as mentioned you might be in with a fast scanner.Have a look here it might help you but click here big bucks though.

Daiol 19:31 28 May 2008

Sorry try this link click here

woodchip 19:35 28 May 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?