Scanner power connection

Half Pint 00:19 15 Mar 2008

I have an Epson 1250 scanner and it doesn't have a switch on the front of the machine to turn On & Off. The only way to turn off is at the power point.

Does anyone know if it's OK to leave the power on at the point all the time. I have a problem getting to it to switch off.

Dave Robson

laurie53 08:04 15 Mar 2008

I had this problem. The lamp burned out very quickly.

It depends what is actually powered up when it's connected.

If the power point is awkward to use you could get one of these remote controlled sockets, which is what I use. I use it to control the extension to which everything is connected, so it all goes off together.

I have also seen "intelligent" adapters which sense when a computer is not drawing power and switches all the peripherals off.

Don't know how good they are.

Diemmess 08:09 15 Mar 2008

Yes, its ok to keep the scanner power adapter on and simply pull the low voltage plug out when not using it.

In truth the mains end should be off when the computer is not being used, saving a small amount of current and a tiny fire risk.
You can cover this with a multi-way strip and isolate all your computer needs by one mains plug.

I find I'm using my scanner less and less these days, so keep it in a cupboard and set it up for the occasional times when needed.
Not a tidy way but a desktop space saver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?