Scanner not connecting to Laptop

Tigertops 15:38 20 Sep 2006

If I connect my HP Scanjet 4200C directly to my HP laptop via USB no problem. If I connect the scanner into a powered 7 port USB hub the Laptop insists it is not connected. Any solutions to this please as generally the 2 x USB points on the laptop are in use for other hardware?

ArrGee 15:39 20 Sep 2006

Does the other hardware function correctly in the hub?

Jackcoms 15:40 20 Sep 2006

Hardware such as scanners and modems, for example, usually require a dedicated USB port of their own.

johnnyrocker 15:41 20 Sep 2006

you need to get the machine to recognise the hub, try unplugging the hub, reboot and plug hub in, is it rccognised then? did the hub come with driver disk?

johnny.

johnnyrocker 15:41 20 Sep 2006

shucks still too slow;)

johnny.

Tigertops 15:55 20 Sep 2006

All other eqpt functions perfectly off the hub, ie printer,webcam, ext DVD. I guess it must be that this scanner requires a dedicated USB point and one directly on the laptop. I can live with that if no other solution comes up. Appreciate the quick response from all

Kate B 16:01 20 Sep 2006

Is it a powered hub? If not, it might not be delivering enough juice to the scanner. But they are, as Jackcoms says, often much happier on a port on the PC itself.

Tigertops 16:06 20 Sep 2006

It's a powered hub. I learned my lesson on unpowered varieties some time ago! I guess I can live with this idiosyncracy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?