Scandisk Alternative

JayDay 16:07 22 Mar 2004

I am running XP Pro. Can anyone recommend an alternative to the bundled Scandisk which I find quite basic.

hugh-265156 16:15 22 Mar 2004

do you mean chkdsk?

it usually only runs if there is a problem but it does its job well.

you could always download a disk diagnostic utility from seagate,maxtor,ibm etc if just wanting to run a test but these dont fix errors.

pj123 16:39 22 Mar 2004

The only alternative that I know of (because I use it) is Norton Speed disk which comes on Norton System Works along with lots of other applications. You can get this from click here at £45.

JayDay 16:49 22 Mar 2004

In response to huggyg71 question. I have run Backup MyPC from the coverdisk of PCA. It is reporting disk errors on my C drive. When I ran scandisk/chdsk it didn't report anything. Maybe Backup MyPC is incorrectly reporting the errors!

hugh-265156 17:00 22 Mar 2004

what is the exact error please?

it would`nt by any chance be "dll" errors would it? click here

try typing the error into the search box click here maybe

if it is bad sectors on the drive then chkdsk is made for the job.enable s.m.a.r.t. in youre bios if its available.this should also warn of impending hard drive failure.

as above also try a diagnostic like seatools etc click here it should run on most makes of drive but as above will only report faults not fix them.

JayDay 17:19 22 Mar 2004

I get the following error which is in 2 parts.

1. Data read from the backup device was damaged (CRC failure) [4541 1221](Use scandisk etc)

2. <filename> HAS DAMAGED OR CORRUPT DATA ON THE MEDIA

I am saving the file to a separate hard drive (D Drive)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?