Scandisc

al 21:32 17 Dec 2004

can anyone help me. scandisc keeps stoping during orocess, after 10 attempts a meassage comes up saying a windows programe is open or some other. Iam using Win ME, I have countless scandisc and am sure no programs are open. defrag is ok.
Al

Technotiger 21:49 17 Dec 2004

Hi, you say you have no programs running, but what about running processes? Have you checked that running processes have been stopped? Cheers.

VoG II 22:00 17 Dec 2004

Do it in Safe Mode click here

Wuggy 22:02 17 Dec 2004

Try running it in 'Safe Mode'. Typically keep pressing F8 as you boot up should take you to safe mode. Safe mode loads only basic and limited programs so whatever is interupting you Scandisk check will hopefully not be running.

VoG II 16:41 18 Dec 2004

Via e-mail

Thanks Vog, I always use safe mode, but I sometimes get a warning message about kernal 385 exe. when closing down and I have to reboot, do you think that could be part of the problem. Cheers Al.

===============================================

Al, it is better if you use the box at the bottom of this page to post your reply. The yellow envelope is for private messages.

I can't find any reference to kernal385.exe - are you sure that is the name of the file?

al 18:14 18 Dec 2004

Sorry Vog, haven't used this service very much. the kernal should be kernal 386. exe. not 385
thanks Al

VoG II 18:25 18 Dec 2004

Can you post the full warning message please. I think that you will find it is kernEl386.exe.

al 20:11 18 Dec 2004

Yes VoG you are right. but i am not sure if it has any bearing on the scandisc problem. Cheers Al

mbp 20:34 18 Dec 2004

Don't forget that your anti-virus program is running and will interfer with processes such as Defrag. Go Off-line and turn off you Virus program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires